Using a Cloudy with a TF card?

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Bikerbob

Using a Cloudy with a TF card?

Post by Bikerbob »

Any reason why a Cloudy (TOS decoder switcher) could not be used with a TF card to give me my TOS in a MEGAST4????
derkom

Re: Using a Cloudy with a TF card?

Post by derkom »

Bikerbob wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:14 pm Any reason why a Cloudy (TOS decoder switcher) could not be used with a TF card to give me my TOS in a MEGAST4????
Should work. I'm using a Cloudy in my Stacy project, alongside a TF, and it works fine.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

so what are you using to decode the TOS? because the cloudy does not decode on its own?
derkom

Post by derkom »

Bikerbob wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:42 pm so what are you using to decode the TOS? because the cloudy does not decode on its own?
Originally I was using the decoder on the Lightning ST IDE/USB board, but then I added in the Storm ST 8 MB RAM upgrade (to "complete the stack") and now I use the decoder there. Both work fine.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

derkom wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:48 pm
Bikerbob wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:42 pm so what are you using to decode the TOS? because the cloudy does not decode on its own?
Originally I was using the decoder on the Lightning ST IDE/USB board, but then I added in the Storm ST 8 MB RAM upgrade (to "complete the stack") and now I use the decoder there. Both work fine.
WOW.. so you are using a TF534 with a lightning cloudy and storm? so you are getting 12mb TT ram now? why did you not use the IDE on the TF board?

James
derkom

Post by derkom »

Bikerbob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:06 am WOW.. so you are using a TF534 with a lightning cloudy and storm? so you are getting 12mb TT ram now? why did you not use the IDE on the TF board?
TF536. You can read all about this neverending project over in this thread. That was supposed to be a relatively short project that was going to get completed in about a month, and, well, it kind of blew up (thankfully only metaphorically), and real life has gotten in the way a lot, so it's going to end up taking more like a year. ;)

The Storm provides ST RAM, not TT RAM (but I suspect you just made a typo), so yes, there's now 12 MB ST RAM. The TF has 64 MB TT RAM on it.

I am not using the IDE on the TF board because I've built a switcher to flip between the 68000 CPU and the TF, and when the TF isn't active, its IDE controller is also inactive, and I wanted IDE to be available in both modes. Obviously this does come at a performance penalty when running in 68030 mode, but flexibility/compatibility was the goal here. @agranlund built me a custom firmware for the TF that moves the IDE controller over to the secondary interface, so it can coexist with the Lightning IDE, but at least so far I'm still just using the Lightning interface.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

derkom wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:28 am The Storm provides ST RAM, not TT RAM (but I suspect you just made a typo), so yes, there's now 12 MB ST RAM. The TF has 64 MB TT RAM on it.
OH.. I thought it was ALT ram.. which in effect is TT ram.. or fast ram.. aka not ST ram.

Do you still have any contact with agranlund? or is he around? he has not logged on in a long time.

James
derkom

Post by derkom »

Bikerbob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:34 pm OH.. I thought it was ALT ram.. which in effect is TT ram.. or fast ram.. aka not ST ram.
Well, it is ALT-RAM, but it is not TT RAM. It sits in the 68000 address space and runs at 8 MHz.
Do you still have any contact with agranlund? or is he around? he has not logged on in a long time.
No, I don't know anything, sorry.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”