Dual Floppy Format.

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Cosmic Puppet

Dual Floppy Format.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Been thinking about being able to swap floppies between my windows 10 PC and Atari ST for a while now. I have an internal floppy drive connected via a cheap chinese floppy controller to a USB header on the motherboard. This only reads 1.44MB disks. Even though the drive spec wise should be able to read 720K disks. Since I figured this is a controller problem I ordered a Greaseweasle. I have a proper floppy cable for this and am waiting on a USB B cable for it.

I've been thinking I maybe screwed up and this will not open things but merely allow me to archive disks.

Anyway, I remembered seeing this video the other day:

where he mentions this site:

Screenshot 2021-04-01 215808.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-01 215808.jpg (97.3 KiB) Viewed 1787 times

https://www.floppydisk.com/drives

Now since he shows a close up of the recommended dual format drive I was able to search on Ebay.

I didn't spot this the other day, but I have just found these new ones for £10 when the postage is included:

Screenshot 2021-04-01 215252.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-01 215252.jpg (121.79 KiB) Viewed 1794 times

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-D-SERIE ... ondition=3

So I thought "Why not?" and just ordered one.

For that price it's worth trying out and mentioning.

I've found a way to record Music Mouse patterns onto my keyboard's little sequencer which can be saved as a MIDI file on the USB pen which is attached, and since swapping my UltraSatan SD cards from PC to Atari a lot increases the odds of them dying and having to be re-done I figured this is the perfect excuse now to attain PC to Atari floppy swapping for these MIDI files.

Does anyone know if this drive that was meant for laptops can go into some sort of housing which could be put in an empty PC drive bay?
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”