VGA/Atari/S-video output project

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Pacman

VGA/Atari/S-video output project

Post by Pacman »

I want to build a display output board (for my recased STe), and although I know there are several such thing already out there (Ubeswitch etc.) none of them allow for Atari monitors to be attached as well.
I also want to make it "idiot proof" so that in case multiple monitors are attached they won't interfere with each other.
Additionally I'm considering if I should add an S-video output and a composite one as well. Here's my idea so far:

Atari v6 display output board.png
Atari v6 display output board.png (189.43 KiB) Viewed 4475 times

The board will have a 3-way slide switch (3 position, 8 pole or something similar) for the following settings:
1) ATARI: a new 13-pin DIN connector with the exact same signals as before. Depending on being a colour or mono monitor the STe will boot into low/medium or hires mono
2) VGA MONO: same thing as a multisync switchbox set to "mono" for a VGA monitor accepting a hires mono signal.
3) VGA COLOUR: same thing as a multisync switchbox set to "colour" for a VGA monitor capable of low/medium resolution signals

Does the circuit look OK? I figured that the following lines needed to go through the switch to eliminate any conflicting problems with say an Atari SM-124 mono monitor and a VGA colour capable monitor attached at once.
For S-video I know there's an Atari-article on how to get this from the RF-modulator with some modifications, but IIRC it does away with the composite signal on pin 2 of the DIN-13 video output connector. I have an add-on circuit for an RGB-S-video/composite output, so I could use this instead if needed.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
Pacman

Re: VGA/Atari/S-video output project

Post by Pacman »

Anyone? :)
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Looks OK at a glance, but really using physical switches for video isn't generally a good idea,
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Would a mechanical switch controlling an analog multiplexer IC of some sort be a better solution?
Which signal lines are essential to switch? Or should I switch them all between the 3 modes?

Are you a good person?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Pacman wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:04 am Would a mechanical switch controlling an analog multiplexer IC of some sort be a better solution?
Yes.
Pacman wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:04 am Which signal lines are essential to switch? Or should I switch them all between the 3 modes?
Any video carrying signal.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

So basically replace the (mechanical) switch locations in my schematic to go through the switch locations inside an analog multiplexer IC of some kind?
Switching the following signals to allow for switching between the 3 modes:

- Pin 2 (Composite sync)
- Pin 4 (Mono detect)
- Pin 6 (Green)
- Pin 7 (Red)
- Pin 9 (Hsync)
- Pin 10 (Blue)
- Pin 11 (Monochrome)
- Pin 12 (Vsync)
- Pin 13 (GND)

Are you a good person?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yeah same as you got now but with a video switch ic of some kind.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Cool!
Apart from the number of analog switches it should have, I suppose the other requirement is that it can handle the following frequency range without (noticeable) degradation, right?:

50 - 35700 Hz
1V peak to peak video level

(the numbers above taken from ST colour mode (15.75 KHz Hsync/50-60 Hz Vsync) and ST mono mode (35.7 KHz Hsync/71.2 Hz Vsync).

Are you a good person?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Pacman wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:25 pm So basically replace the (mechanical) switch locations in my schematic to go through the switch locations inside an analog multiplexer IC of some kind?
If you're going to use a mechanical switch I would make sure to debounce it. Just using a switch throws a butt load of switching transits out. Debouncing gives the switch nice edges.

https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-ci ... ce-circuit
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Ah! That's useful info I didn't already know.
Out of the two (mechanical switch with a debouncer circuit or a solid state switch/multiplexer IC), what would be the preferred method?

I'm having trouble finding a 3-way multiplexer though. Maybe I'll have to cook up a more complex method with a switch controlling a switch etc.

Are you a good person?

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”