Storage options for ACSI port

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Tomswork

Re: Storage options for ACSI port

Post by Tomswork »

I use a external scsi hd with a scsi2sd (protar) in it as the drive long ago stopped spinning. Also it is possible to but a mfm sd card mod in megafile

Tom
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:07 pm Yes, hoping that you @Smonson manage to succeed with this!
Keep hearing of lots of people finding issues with US, so not prepared to risk the asking price...but a future cheaper option would be nice!
Especially if/when my mechanical SCSI drives finally give up the ghost... :?
It's working quite well for me now, the only problem is it's slow. I have another design which I'm working on now which should be quite a bit faster.

UltraSatan is the gold standard for hard drives and represents an incredible technical achievement. I don't expect to reach those heights. I only aimed for a low price.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Smonson wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:30 pm I only aimed for a low price.
It just so happens that's my favourite kind of price!

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
JezC

Post by JezC »

May just be me...but others on the forum are suspecting that the US might be contending with the DMA & I'd prefer not to kill any of the custom ICs if at all possible.

If I ever manage to build up the second H4 & H5B1 and the TF536 to go with them, then I'll see where people have got to...
:sigh:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:12 pm May just be me...but others on the forum are suspecting that the US might be contending with the DMA & I'd prefer not to kill any of the custom ICs if at all possible.

If I ever manage to build up the second H4 & H5B1 and the TF536 to go with them, then I'll see where people have got to...
:sigh:
It may possible that people complaining about the US are running machines with none of the mandatory fixes applied, and are running into problems of corruption and floppy drive issues when using it.

I have been using my CosmosEx, which is essentially an Ultrasatan at heart. The only problems I had were prior to the fixes. Just a thought.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:30 pm It may possible that people complaining about the US are running machines with none of the mandatory fixes applied, and are running into problems of corruption and floppy drive issues when using it.

I have been using my CosmosEx, which is essentially an Ultrasatan at heart. The only problems I had were prior to the fixes. Just a thought.
Actually, changing the bus pull-ups to the "mandatory fixes" value made things a whole lot worse, I had to revert them to get the floppy to read/write correctly. The floppy barely worked with 4.7K pull-ups, with lots of read and write errors. Reverting to 10K brought the floppy back to working again.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:30 pm It may possible that people complaining about the US are running machines with none of the mandatory fixes applied, and are running into problems of corruption and floppy drive issues when using it.

Actually, changing the bus pull-ups to the "mandatory fixes" value made things a whole lot worse, I had to revert them to get the floppy to read/write correctly. The floppy barely worked with 4.7K pull-ups, with lots of read and write errors. Reverting to 10K brought the floppy back to working again.
Interesting. I used 2.2k for mine and had no problems. Just goes to show how random these boards can behave. When I was doing some booster testing for exxos it was so variable I can understand why he wanted to shelve it on account of what works on one machine doesn't on another.

The joy of Retro.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

pixelpusher wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:45 am Thx for all the feedback!

Could you add details about what you use as scsi adapter (as that is something I'd like to look into later too)?
Here is the SD2SCSI adaptor I use or close to it. The host adaptor is part of the MSTE.. the board you plug the scsi cable into from the drive or SD2SCSI. There's a number of setting you can set up on the SD2SCSI, termination on/off, parity, etc. You must turn off parity because the host adaptor does not support it. You can also get a host adaptor out of an old Atari disk system.

[url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/193772665410?h ... NfxAs7/url]

Here's a document talking about scsi and the Atari and how to use a variety of drives.
Stacy_MSTE_SCSI_host_adapter.pdf
(637.11 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:51 pm Interesting. I used 2.2k for mine and had no problems. Just goes to show how random these boards can behave. When I was doing some booster testing for exxos it was so variable I can understand why he wanted to shelve it on account of what works on one machine doesn't on another.

The joy of Retro.
Indeed. These things are like a old car, how much time do you spend on fixing them before giving up and starting new..

In case people have missed it, I am doing a small run-off DMA fix boards for original machines.. These boards take care of all currently known DMA issues.. And of course for the mandatory fixes also need doing otherwise it may be counter-productive to only modify one part of the machine and not others.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 230#p62006
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Yes, a Cosmosex would be an altogether more attractive proposition for me as it offers USB and Ethernet support as well (and floppy emulation?).

Not seen any progress with the newer versions of these for a while....and no availability of the original.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”