Storage options for ACSI port

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
pixelpusher

Storage options for ACSI port

Post by pixelpusher »

Hi all,

are there recommendations/experiences for storage solutions on the ACSI port besides Ultrasatan? (I'm explicitely not looking at internal modifications like adding IDE)

I've seen some solutions (e.g. ACSI2SD on ebay) but research seems to indicate, that they don't work reliable (esp. not with high performance drivers like HDDriver). Are there other affordable solutions, or is Ultrasatan the way to go?

Best,
Steve

Re: Storage options for ACSI port

Post by Steve »

You have three options I think,
- Ultrasatan (as you mentioned)
- ASCI2SD (as you mentioned)
- Satandisk
https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/product/satandisk-v4/
- Gigafile
https://shop.inventronik.de/index.php?i ... &id_lang=2

I have no experience with the latter two so I can't tell you the pro's and con's of them, but perhaps others can.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

There is of course a internal ultrasatan..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

I have Satandisk.

Its not perfect but it works and its reliable enough.

The main problems are slow speed (~120kb/s according to Jookies website) and having to reset the ST again before it boots up.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I don't have any issues with the ultrasatan not booting on powerup. Also it gets around a 950-1050 kb's/sec which isn't slow in my experience. The IDE interfaces, Exxos's, and Lightning get anywhere from 1350 - 1500 kb/sec. The Lightning USB stick drive is only approximately half the ultrasatan speed which I use as backup. I also have a scsi2 board I use in the MSTE that connects to the host adaptor replacing the hard drive and is a tiny bit slower than the ultrasatan, approximately 800-850 kb/sec. They all work without issue for me. Even though there are faster and slower solutions, they all feel the same with the exception of the usb solution but it's not horrible.
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

Thx for all the feedback!
PaulJ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:49 pm [...] I also have a scsi2 board I use in the MSTE that connects to the host adaptor replacing the hard drive and is a tiny bit slower than the ultrasatan, approximately 800-850 kb/sec. They all work without issue for me. Even though there are faster and slower solutions, they all feel the same with the exception of the usb solution but it's not horrible.
Could you add details about what you use as scsi adapter (as that is something I'd like to look into later too)?

Best,
qq1975b

Post by qq1975b »

Smonson

Post by Smonson »

I've been making my own SD card storage solution from scratch. I couldn't afford an UltraSatan. Unlike the ACSI2STM project - which bit-bangs data onto the lines under software control - I've got a cheap CPLD to handle the specific timing requirements of ACSI, so it should be 100% reliable (I hope).
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Smonson wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am I've been making my own SD card storage solution from scratch.
This sounds good! :thumbup:

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
JezC

Post by JezC »

Badwolf wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm
Smonson wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am I've been making my own SD card storage solution from scratch.
This sounds good! :thumbup:

BW
Yes, hoping that you @Smonson manage to succeed with this!
Keep hearing of lots of people finding issues with US, so not prepared to risk the asking price...but a future cheaper option would be nice!
Especially if/when my mechanical SCSI drives finally give up the ghost... :?

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”