Storage options for ACSI port

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Storage options for ACSI port

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm @rubber_jonnie Yes, a Cosmosex would be an altogether more attractive proposition for me as it offers USB and Ethernet support as well (and floppy emulation?).

Not seen any progress with the newer versions of these for a while....and no availability of the original.
I got mine in one of the last batches Jookie made himself, and I had to wait about 6 months before he was able to make a batch. The new ones from Atari.sk do seem to be trickling out to people, and they are up to V4 now, mine is a V2, but there is a very long wait.

That said I can't recommend them enough, for me having a mappable network drive is just perfect.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie , was just reading your post about Cosmosex and had to respond. At one point years ago I wanted one but in the end the purchase process which is totally out of line drove me away because it far exceeded my patience budget. If their product is as good as some reports say they really don't need to get their money up front waiting uptown years for x number of buyers. They could sell them as any other product, you pay money, they send you the item. Then wood bee buyers can check if there in stock and if so buy one. The bs of waiting sometimes years is total arrogance.

Why would one put themselves through that process when you can purchase a Lightning MSTE or Lightning ST. Pretty much covers areas where other common solutions don't exist. Ethernet connectivity that exposes all Atari drives for read and write, usb storage, wireless mouse and I believe keyboard. And as an added bonus you get $e00000 decode which is not available through Cosmosex. And to top it all off its much easier to obtain, easier to setup, more stable based on issues you've discuss previously, and inexpensive compared to Cosmosex. So in my humble opinion if you want a quality product that is much more attainable, easier to use in my opinion, and doesn't require putting a lump of cash in escrow the Lightning is the better solution.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:42 pm @rubber_jonnie , was just reading your post about Cosmosex and had to respond. At one point years ago I wanted one but in the end the purchase process which is totally out of line drove me away because it far exceeded my patience budget. If their product is as good as some reports say they really don't need to get their money up front waiting uptown years for x number of buyers. They could sell them as any other product, you pay money, they send you the item. Then wood bee buyers can check if there in stock and if so buy one. The bs of waiting sometimes years is total arrogance.

Why would one put themselves through that process when you can purchase a Lightning MSTE or Lightning ST. Pretty much covers areas where other common solutions don't exist. Ethernet connectivity that exposes all Atari drives for read and write, usb storage, wireless mouse and I believe keyboard. And as an added bonus you get $e00000 decode which is not available through Cosmosex. And to top it all off its much easier to obtain, easier to setup, more stable based on issues you've discuss previously, and inexpensive compared to Cosmosex. So in my humble opinion if you want a quality product that is much more attainable, easier to use in my opinion, and doesn't require putting a lump of cash in escrow the Lightning is the better solution.
I like the idea of a patience budget :)

For the one I bought from Jookie, he would build them in small regular batches, so you could get them ordered and have an expectation of when it would arrive. He had some very particular problems in relation to operating a business in his country, plus it was just him. I don't get the same feeling from the new guys and would not order another. I'm just saying that the product is a good one and it suits my needs. I certainly wouldn't pay €180+ to have to wait 2 years for something.

As for Lightning, to buy something, you need to know of its existence, and I was certainly not aware of it when I got my CosmosEx, which was about 4 years ago.

Of course now I do know about Lightning I am considering a purchase, but am weighing up my options. There are a lot of easily available products now that you can have within days, not years, and they will get my money.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:17 pm I like the idea of a patience budget :)

As for Lightning, to buy something, you need to know of its existence, and I was certainly not aware of it when I got my CosmosEx, which was about 4 years ago.

Of course now I do know about Lightning I am considering a purchase, but am weighing up my options. There are a lot of easily available products now that you can have within days, not years, and they will get my money.
Ya, when one doesn't have a lot of patience it has to be managed closely :D If CosmosEx was being sold door to door I'd get one just to play with but since we know that's not going to happen I'll never submit to their torture. Its ok though Lightning more than covers all my needs. I don't believe Lightning was available when you purchased your CosmosEx Jon. Its kind of a shame Jookie has such class operation it would have had a much better home if he had retained CosmosEx. It would have been a good attainable product. But the clowns that took it over shouldn't be allowed to participate in commerce of any kind.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:23 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:17 pm I like the idea of a patience budget :)

Ya, when one doesn't have a lot of patience it has to be managed closely :D If CosmosEx was being sold door to door I'd get one just to play with but since we know that's not going to happen I'll never submit to their torture. Its ok though Lightning more than covers all my needs. I don't believe Lightning was available when you purchased your CosmosEx Jon. Its kind of a shame Jookie has such class operation it would have had a much better home if he had retained CosmosEx. It would have been a good attainable product. But the clowns that took it over shouldn't be allowed to participate in commerce of any kind.
Can't really disagree with any of that.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”