SCART Cable recommendations?

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Badwolf

Re: SCART Cable recommendations?

Post by Badwolf »

Laupert wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:00 am I've mostly been happy with cables from coolnovelties.co.uk, they are affordable and quality is decent.
I also have a Coolnovelties STE cable. Quality seems perfectly acceptable to me.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

I can't recommend the Cool Novelties cables highly enough. Excellent build and image quality.

They make several though, so just make certain to buy the one for the STe.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

Steve wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:53 pm @EvilFranky Just since nobody else has recommended these guys: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/atari/st

Retrogamingcables are highly regarded in the 'retro gaming' world for all consoles, so I would assume their ST cable is also of a high quality.

Plus it is screened cable:
"Constructed from custom screened cable especially made for Retro Gaming Cables."
He specifically asked for one for his STe though, and their cable is most definitely an ST only cable. It even says mono sound. He wouldn't want to get that one for his STe.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Steve

Post by Steve »

@bfollowell Yeah but also I think most STe users use the stereo connectors on the rear to speakers. But yeah you're right :)
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

Steve wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 pm @bfollowell Yeah but also I think most STe users use the stereo connectors on the rear to speakers. But yeah you're right :)
Well, that's probably true. You'll definitely get better sound that way over TV speakers, even if you were using and old CRT with big speakers. Definitely true if you're using a newer LCD/LED TV/monitor, whose speakers are definitely crap.
EvilFranky

Post by EvilFranky »

Steve wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:53 pm @EvilFranky Just since nobody else has recommended these guys: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/atari/st

Retrogamingcables are highly regarded in the 'retro gaming' world for all consoles, so I would assume their ST cable is also of a high quality.

Plus it is screened cable:
"Constructed from custom screened cable especially made for Retro Gaming Cables."
Thanks for that mate.
Dbug

Post by Dbug »

Just adding one more recommendation to the list since it was not mentioned:
https://www.retrocomputershack.com/RCS- ... index.html

I have two of these, one for my Oric Atmos and one for the Atari STe, and they work very well.

The Oric cable even has a smart design where you plug the Oric PSU on a female jack on the SCART cable - that does the 12v SCART power which the Oric lacks - and a second jack, male, plugs back in the Oric, which means you don't need the secondary power brick used on most Oric cables :)
mikro

Post by mikro »

Btw, has anyone experience with Lotharek's Medusa? Namely, I have this one: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=321 and it seems that my SCART cable(s) are really not happy with it. I still have to take a closer look (I use a Philips CM8833-II + D-SUB9 <-> SCART female from RetroComputerShack to connect to the Hydra so there could be another problem with that one) but maybe someone else can share his experience?
DoG

Post by DoG »

mikro wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:03 pm Btw, has anyone experience with Lotharek's Medusa? Namely, I have this one: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=321 and it seems that my SCART cable(s) are really not happy with it. I still have to take a closer look (I use a Philips CM8833-II + D-SUB9 <-> SCART female from RetroComputerShack to connect to the Hydra so there could be another problem with that one) but maybe someone else can share his experience?
I haven't got my Medusa yet. I have to update later. Is it the same symptoms with/without the hydra? Power cables beside the video cables?

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”