Mega ST project

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
HigashiJun

Re: Mega ST project

Post by HigashiJun »

Ok, so I have installed NVDI 5.03 along with Idek's STGA drivers.

I am quite puzzled with the results Gembench shows:

Before.jpeg
Before.jpeg (382.07 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
After.jpeg
After.jpeg (512.63 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

How could it be ? Is not NVDI supposed to enhance the whole display related thing ?

Only "VDI Text Effects" has a better result. :(

Any ideas ?
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

nvdi only works as a GDOS togehter with the nova driver. Nothing is accelerated. The nova driver switch the blitter always off.

You can test without the nova driver and with ET4000 NVDI as driver.

I use Gembench 4.03
Steve

Post by Steve »

@frank.lukas On my VoFA with ET4000 the default monitor profile settings work OK up to 640x480, but 800x600 and 1024x768 are very flickery on any monitor I try. I struggle to understand the VGM program (even the english version haha) and do not know how to fix it, could you please give me some advice on this? I think my driver was T3. Perhaps you might have a better STA_VDI.BIB to share with me maybe? Thanks.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

frank.lukas wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:39 am nvdi only works as a GDOS togehter with the nova driver. Nothing is accelerated. The nova driver switch the blitter always off.

You can test without the nova driver and with ET4000 NVDI as driver.

I use Gembench 4.03
OK, I will try.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

Steve wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:31 am @frank.lukas On my VoFA with ET4000 the default monitor profile settings work OK up to 640x480, but 800x600 and 1024x768 are very flickery on any monitor I try. I struggle to understand the VGM program (even the english version haha) and do not know how to fix it, could you please give me some advice on this? I think my driver was T3. Perhaps you might have a better STA_VDI.BIB to share with me maybe? Thanks.
All BIB resolutions are made for TFT/LCD Monitors with 60Hz. Ask Idek over the atari-forum.com for a english RSC File to the VMG.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

I tried to make my setup work with only NVDI 5.03 but no success.

When installing NVDI, I first chose ET4000 and my screen was black, so I tried with NOVA but no luck again.

(NVDIVGA.INF was in my auto folder).

Did I miss something ?

Where do you input those screen base addresses:

Screenbaseaddress: $FEC00000
Registerbaseaddress: $FECF03B0

and the values for the CLUT ?

I had no such options during the install.
Steve

Post by Steve »

@HigashiJun If you go back to Idek's drivers make sure to completely delete your NVDI install because just re-installing it might not remove its screen drivers (it might not check that it is a double installation)

@frank.lukas Yes I did mention that I do have the English VMG. I was asking for advice/help as *even in english* I struggle to understand it. I don't like to bother Idek as he is retired.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Steve wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:53 pm @HigashiJun If you go back to Ideks drivers make sure to completely delete your NVDI install because just re-installing it might not remove it's screen drivers (it might not check that it is a double installation)

@frank.lukas Yes I did mention that I do have the English VMG. I was asking for advice/help as *even in english* I struggle to understand it. I don't like to bother Idek as he is retired.
Thank you Steve.

I always delete the previous install.

With Idek's drivers only, my Mega ST seems more responsive compared to Idek's drivers and NVDI at the same time, where it gets kind of slow...

Even if NVDI works as GDOS with STGA drivers and does not speed up anything, I wonder why it slows down the display. :?:
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

When you use NVDI ET4000 you must run the nvdi vmg first and set it up and test the nvdivga.inf and save it.

@Steve ... I use only the BIB from Idek all at 60Hz. Timings are there -> http://tinyvga.com/vga-timing
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

frank.lukas wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:39 pm When you use NVDI ET4000 you must run the nvdi vmg first and set it up and test the nvdivga.inf and save it.

@Steve ... I use only the BIB from Idek all at 60Hz. Timings are there -> http://tinyvga.com/vga-timing
Just a stupid question:

Where do you find this NVDI VMG ?

There is no such programme after NVDi is installed.

Is it something you have to download apart ?

Cheers.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”