MegaSTE ACSI/SCSI termination -- same as TT?

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
mikro

MegaSTE ACSI/SCSI termination -- same as TT?

Post by mikro »

While reading the Steve's thread and particularly the post he linked: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 29#p237729 another question has occured to me: how is this handled in MegaSTE and its "nearly SCSI" internal connector + its external ACSI connector?

Say I have an UltraSatan on the external ACSI port and a SCSI disk on the internal one (via the original SCSI adapter or Link96). I presume both drives have to be terminated.

What happens if I disconnect the UltraSatan drive? Are there also some resistors to put back in to terminate the bus? Or are those buses (external ACSI vs. internal "SCSI") separated?
frank.lukas

Re: MegaSTE ACSI/SCSI termination -- same as TT?

Post by frank.lukas »

The Atari DMA / ACSI bus is not terminated. It is not intended to terminate the bus.

The original Atari Mega STE/Stacy ACSI/SCSI Hostadpter does not have enough driver power and is not terminated. Not the Hostadapter and not the scsi device.
mikro

Post by mikro »

frank.lukas wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:15 pmThe original Atari Mega STE/Stacy ACSI/SCSI Hostadpter does not have enough driver power and is not terminated. Not the Hostadapter and not the scsi device.
Is this changed with the Link96? I mean, since it is true SCSI adapter, I assume it is terminated on one end and the drive must be terminated as the other end, correct?
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

Link96 is a other story, I think yes. As usual with SCSI.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”