[Video] Socketing the 68k on an STFM

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Badwolf

[Video] Socketing the 68k on an STFM

Post by Badwolf »

Afternoon all.

As documented elsewhere, I picked up an STFM motherboard for testing DSTB1 & likely other projects.

It's not in great nick -- more on that anon -- but for starters I needed a socketed 68k slot. After a bit of inspection, I decided the snips had to come out. Here's how I did it:-

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
zChris

Re: [Video] Socketing the 68k on an STFM

Post by zChris »

Very interesting to see how one can do it. I myself failed miserable in removing 68k cpu :P Without any bigger knowledge i tried to remove the solder with a soldergun and it went as expected :|

/zChris
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It depends upon your desoldering gun and technique.

I removed mine with my Hakko quickly and without any difficulty. The CPU just dropped out.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
zChris

Post by zChris »

Interesting! Did you do any special prework to make it suck ALL the solder?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Generally just add new solder (making sure that all the old solder has fully melted), flux,and leave the gun on the joint for a few seconds (and rotate the bit on the pin until it moves freely) before pulling the trigger to suck, and continue to such and rotate for a few seconds before removing the bit and finally taking the finger off the trigger (after removing it fro the surface).

Also, if a pin is being difficult, more flux and resolder before trying again, holding the tip on the job a bit longer and sucking for more time and wiggling the pin more. :-)

If this doesn't do it then you need a hot air station to heat the legs on the component side until the solder melts and lift *gently* with an electrical screwdriver until it starts to move, then lift.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
zChris

Post by zChris »

Alright, how hot do you use? My soldering gun is on 400 degrees, maybe thats too hot.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Usually I use about 350C, but you need to keep the gun moving continuously so as not to overheat any one part of the board.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

If I ever where to remove a 68k again I'd probably go that route too :)

When I socketed mine I didn't want to destroy the CPU so I bought myself a desoldering station believing it would make everything super easy..
In hindsight I probably should have practiced on something else first.. it ended up a success in the end but it was quite a hassle to get there, most likely due to my poor technique :)
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

@agranlund you mention a desolder station I found a desolder gun helped to removed the main pins solder but it was not so good at the GND and VCC pins. Thats where I used @stephen_usher's method of heat gun on those pins. Overall the CPU comes out nicely and unscathed.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

zChris wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:50 am Very interesting to see how one can do it. I myself failed miserable in removing 68k cpu :P Without any bigger knowledge i tried to remove the solder with a soldergun and it went as expected :|
I know the dilemma. I really wanted to preserve the chip, but I caramelised my first revision of DSTB1 trying to desolder just one 32 pin header strip.

Know one's limitations, I figured! :lol:

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”