Mice - Alternatives and recommendations

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mice - Alternatives and recommendations

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Darklord wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:04 am I know they are expensive ($30+), but the best replacement mouse I've found is
the one from Best Electronics. Best "feel" ever, in my humble opinion. :)
Yes, I suppose it seems expensive, especially if you have to add on shipping from the states.

I recently got 2 PS2 mice for under £10, USB but with PS2 adapters, and a USB adapter by Kevin Mount. Total cost for one ST (Or Amiga, they work with both) is about £20. That's about $27 when you convert, so in reality, not much different.

Must admit, I like the look of the SmallyMouse, very small indeed!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

Hi, Cyprian asked me how to buy the SmallyMouse2.
As a young member, i can't reply to his p.m yet, so here is my answer :

Olivier doesn't have an e-shop because he doesn't have the time to do so.
To buy something from him, you just have to write him an email.

Look at this page : http://www.gossuin.be/index.php/shop

@Exxos : I hope you won't mind if i link here another shop.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I had a reply in relation to the Jerry+.

Apparently to configure for whichever machine you're using it with, you need to do the following:

"Hold left button before computer startup and then quickly press (while the holding left button) the right button 5-6 times."

It doesn't seem to work for me, so maybe the 5v line is low on my test ST. I'll try it again on a different ST, but for now it's plugged into my A1200, whose mouse is becoming a bit tired.

I have 2 other modern mouse adapters I can use with my ST's, so it's really not a problem.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 am I had a reply in relation to the Jerry+.

Apparently to configure for whichever machine you're using it with, you need to do the following:

"Hold left button before computer startup and then quickly press (while the holding left button) the right button 5-6 times."

It doesn't seem to work for me, so maybe the 5v line is low on my test ST. I'll try it again on a different ST, but for now it's plugged into my A1200, whose mouse is becoming a bit tired.

I have 2 other modern mouse adapters I can use with my ST's, so it's really not a problem.
Unfortunately I had to try several times as you have to get the rate of clicking 5-6 times *just right* and within a small time window. It's not the best way of doing configuration. You have to feel that a DIP switch would have been miles better.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm
Unfortunately I had to try several times as you have to get the rate of clicking 5-6 times *just right* and within a small time window. It's not the best way of doing configuration. You have to feel that a DIP switch would have been miles better.
I guess I will try again, and as for that DIP switch, well I can't say I disagree.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”