Mice - Alternatives and recommendations

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mice - Alternatives and recommendations

Post by rubber_jonnie »

One area which seems to be at the forefront of my mind at the moment is mice, and what are the more modern and easily available adaptors.

So far I've used one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-New-MKIV ... 0033.m2042

And it's earlier PS2 socket sibling. I have to say, I've been very pleased with the results, so I'd probably recommend if you are looking for an alternative mouse adapter.

The other I've used is a Jerry+. It is supposedly both ST and Amiga compatible, however thus far it's only worked successfully on my Amiga.

What makes it a Plus (+) rather than just a Jerry? Well, it allows a USB mouse (Must be PS2 compatible) and a DB9 joystick at the same time, so it's a pretty handy device, and allows switching by just pressing the left button of the mouse, or the joystick fire button.

I can't recommend it for ST right now, as mine doesn't work, and I know the mouse works on both my ST and Amiga when using the other PS2 interface.

It may be it needs to have some internal jumper changed to make it work with the ST, I will have a look soon to see what's what inside.

Do you have any mouse alternative experience, such as PeST etc, please post here with your recommendations so we can build up a knowledge base and help folks make informed choices about mouse alternatives.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
arf

Re: Mice - Alternatives and recommendations

Post by arf »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm Do you have any mouse alternative experience, such as PeST etc, please post here with your recommendations so we can build up a knowledge base and help folks make informed choices about mouse alternatives.
I’m using a Tom, a Jerry (both work fine), USB Mouse at NetUsBee (also good), and looking forward to have a USB mouse attached to the VME Lightning USB card. Never used Eiffel.
--
Against signature spam!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I use a "Jerry" on my STs. The only issue I have is that there's no diode on button 2 which causes the joystick fire to not work as it's pulled low by the internal circuitry. Easily fixed using a diode on the extension cable.

For the TT I have another eBay purchase, an adapter which allows a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to be used along with a joystick. It works well enough though sometimes locks up and has to be unplugged and plugged back in. Now I've refurbished my TT keyboard I don't use it any more.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Should have also mentioned my CosmosEx, which works a treat with my MS Wireless mice.

A shame they aren't currently available :cry:
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

I recently ordered a SmallyMouse2 from Olivier :
http://www.gossuin.be/index.php/smallymouse-2-atari

Seems to be very interesting. The original design is there :
https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=827

I will test it as soon as received and report back here.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Bobrane wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:43 am I recently ordered a SmallyMouse2 from Olivier :
http://www.gossuin.be/index.php/smallymouse-2-atari

Seems to be very interesting. The original design is there :
https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=827

I will test it as soon as received and report back here.
I have been looking at these, but the adapters made by Kevin Mount are a bit easier to get for me, as he's in the UK. I may give SmallyMouse a whirl in the not too distant future, especially since they are very compact. SmallyMouse is a bit more expensive overall, but does have the advantage of being much shorter.

What was interesting in the SmallyMouse documentation, is that on the testing ST, the 5V pin was only delivering 4.5 volts, which may give a clue as to why the Jerry+ adapter I have doesn't work so well, so multimeter will be out at the weekend to see just what the voltage is at the port.

If it isn't a good 5v, then that might be why the USB mice aren't working on the Jerry+ with the ST, but works fine with the Amiga.
Steve

Post by Steve »

You do know that the Jerry comes pre programmed for Amiga right? You have to do some certain mouse clicks to convert it to Atari.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Steve wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:17 am You do know that the Jerry comes pre programmed for Amiga right? You have to do some certain mouse clicks to convert it to Atari.
Steve, I was aware that it would work with both, but I didn't know it could be switched by a series of mouse clicks!! :o

I know switching between mouse and joystick is just a matter of clicking the button on the device, but not mode changes, which makes sense with the behaviour I've seen.

I have tried and failed to find documentation, mine came with none, so if you know the sequence, that would be brilliant.

Thanks

Edit: I just found the Tom+ instructions, so have attached them for anyone who has one of these devices. Doesn't seem to work for Jerry+, but I've contacted the people who make it for help and will post here if I get a reply.
Attachments
Tom+.txt
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Bobrane

Post by Bobrane »

I received the SmallyMouse2 today, immediately tested on my STE with a Logitech Anywhere MX.
It works perfectly, the pointer speed is really enjoyable and clicking on the button is responsive.

The objet came very nicely packaged in a 3Dprinted little box, the same for the body of the adaptor itself.
It seems to be a great product. As my mouse is wireless, everything is completely hidden under the STE. Great looking !
SM2-1.jpg
SM2-1.jpg (142.67 KiB) Viewed 6290 times
SM2-2.jpg
SM2-2.jpg (145.4 KiB) Viewed 6290 times
Adopted and really recommended !

Bob.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I know they are expensive ($30+), but the best replacement mouse I've found is
the one from Best Electronics. Best "feel" ever, in my humble opinion. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”