LED's and using the right colour for the right Atari ST Model

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

LED's and using the right colour for the right Atari ST Model

Post by Icky »

This weekend I am in the middle of cleaning up an Atari Mega STE and have got the dreaded grommet from hell :evil: where it has caused corrosion. I really wonder what these things (grommets) were made of.

RustyLED.png
RustyLED.png (174.32 KiB) Viewed 2945 times

Any how. The led leads broke and that started me off on the discovery of what is the correct LED colour for the Atari ST models. As far as I am aware and this is based on my machines which could be wrong (feel free to correct me) as they may not be factory perfect the following table are the colours. I think there have been a few variations so am interested to find out:

ModelPower LEDFDD LEDHDD LED
Atari 520STRedNo FDD
Atari 520STFMGreenOrange
Atari Mega STGreenGreen
Atari Mega STEGreenGreenGreen
Atari TTGreenGreenGreen
Atari FalconGreenGreen

I just want to make sure I going for the right colour in replacing the LED.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LED's and using the right colour for the right Atari ST Model

Post by exxos »

Generally what I have seen is red LED STF's tend to be "long button" drives.. Though don't know exactly what point they changed colour.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
troed

Re: LED's and using the right colour for the right Atari ST Model

Post by troed »

Yeah these are missing from the table. 1040STF with red led, might have long button drives but not always, and I think all of them are 8.01MHz CPUs (since they don't need PAL color clock)

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”