BLITTER RE-CREATION THOUGHTS

Progress on our FPGA cores.
PhilC

Re: BLITTER RE-CREATION THOUGHTS

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:57 am Damn, somebody had another idea, I'm going to have to build one of these too! Takes mental note to buy a mainframe to maintain complex list of 'projects in flight'.
I hear they have Ernie up and running at Bletchley park, so your locks in. (Original premium bond random number computer)

I'd be happy to have an experiment doing one of these boards but wouldn't have a clue how to do the footprint of the chip in eagle libraries.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:53 am I know I've asked before but why hot choose the combined blitter,glue,mum you have on the STE?

Is it just a matter of knowing the pin out etc? Was especially thinking this when doing the Mongrel board. One chip instead of 3 SMT ones.
Because its likely not going to be simple and it will likely need GLUE logic to patch it into the bus. Busgrant I assume is done internally, so would be no way to integrate it onto another bus if thats the case. Feel free to try it out though ;)

Possible or not, its not really relevant for the direction I want to move in. As said before many times, we are looking for a 50MHZ MMU & BLITTER FPGA cores, we can't do that with Atari chips.

While this new blitter can run on STFMs, its really a prototype for the remake boards and a step in the right direction to replacing the Custom chips with FPGA cores which we can improve on.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I'll start by checking the bus wires as you said, I was wondering if this would be internal or not, or if Atari had just been lazy and put 3 chips into one.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:02 pm
I hear they have Ernie up and running at Bletchley park, so your locks in. (Original premium bond random number computer)
Begins hunt on eBay for valves...
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Ok, so ignore me, I was thinking that there would be more external interconnects from the blotter on the combined chip but as you said, it's all internal.

So it would have to be a case of implementing all chips at once, which would make this an STe remake and not an STF remake.

Still, has been interesting finding that out for myself.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm
PhilC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:02 pm
Everyone should have a mainframe in their living room....... kitchen.... front bedroom......
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 pm So it would have to be a case of implementing all chips at once, which would make this an STe remake and not an STF remake.
The suska cores are STe, so the remake is heading towards a STe.. but the STe DAC circuit needs a rebuild.. that's another epic project by itself..

The MMU, GLUE, BLITTER will likely be all integrated into 1 FPGA and basically become a STe chipset.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:23 pm The MMU, GLUE, BLITTER will likely be all integrated into 1 FPGA and basically become a STe chipset.
Yes I'd figured as much, which would be cost and speed effective. No problems with external signal noise, lack of pullups or unf*ck boards :D
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Everyone should have a mainframe in their living room....... kitchen.... front bedroom......
:dizzy:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Update: Have just placed an order for some Blitter Boards to start prototyping

Return to “FPGA DEVELOPMENT”