Ultrasatan & external 1.44m Floppy on stock Falcon

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
JezC

Ultrasatan & external 1.44m Floppy on stock Falcon

Post by JezC » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if it was possible to use an Ultrasatan with a Falcon? I'm considering buying one (to use with my STs/STEs) but if it would also work with the Falcon, that would be the deciding factor.

I believe it comes with an ACSI port (which isn't present on the Falcon)...but didn't know if there was any way to interface it to a Falcon.

Also, I have a Sony 1.44M Floppy out of a PC which is supposed to with with an ST/FAlcon...I was wondering if this would work as an external 1.44M floppy (by replacing the existing drive mechanism in a Cumana CSA354 with this Sony drive)?

I'd appreciate your advice.

Regards,
Jez

Petari

Re: Ultrasatan & external 1.44m Floppy on stock Falcon

Post by Petari » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:39 am

Some Falcon-ACSI interface exists not, and nobody will make it - like IDE-ACSI or SCSI-ACSI type. That would cost too much.
What you can get is IDE-SD card adapter - then can use same SD cards with Falcon and ST(E) (via UltraSatan on them) .
So, you need 2 adapters for sure. I have that combination with my Ataris. Other way would be using CF cards on Falcon.

Can use some PC floppy drive on Falcon too, but that's not 100% same - disk change detection will not work, for example.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

JezC

Post by JezC » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info. The IDE to SD card adaptor might be a good approach for sharing the SD cards as you suggest.

I have a CF card and adaptor but have not yet had chance to try & format it...I only have a very old version (v4?) of HD Driver (or ICD Pro) at the moment and I'm not sure if they will allow me to format the CF card (and I haven't tried it yet).
I hope to upgrade the HD Driver to the latest as soon as I find the original disc...

Ona related point, is there any way to format the CF card on a PC that will allow it to be used interchangeably between PC and Falcon?
I use Logic & Cubase on both PC and Atari platforms and am looking for alternative methods of moving files rather than a Gotek in the Falcon.

Thanks once again.

Jez

Petari

Post by Petari » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 am

Yes, there is SW what can format (partition) cards in way that they can be accessed on PC, MAC and on Atari . That's called DOS/TOS compatible.
No need to bother with floppy images.
http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

JezC

Post by JezC » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Excellent - I will give that a try (as soon as I have the Gotek in & working).

Thanks again for the info!

Jez