VGA for low and medium res?

All information relating to connecting your ST to a modern TV/monitor.
PeteW

VGA for low and medium res?

Post by PeteW »

Is there a reason why all the ST to VGA cables I see are for high res only?

Is connecting an ST to VGA for low and medium res more complicated than using the r, g, b, h sync and v sync signals from the monitor port?

Thanks - apologies if discussed before
stephen_usher

Re: VGA for low and medium res?

Post by stephen_usher »

VGA doesn't support the slow scan rates used by TVs. There are a few VGA monitors which could handle this and a very few LCD monitors which do too, more by luck than judgement.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thanks - I've been given a 32inch LCD vga/hdmi monitor so I wanted to use it for the ST if possible. I'll knock up a cable and see if I get lucky...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

If you look at the VGA cable/adapter market, there are many out there, some which are Hi-Res and some are Low/Med Res, such as:

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0107

Hi-Res will work with virtually any VGA display you care to throw at it, however Low/Med Res requires that you have a 15Khz vertical sync. A list, albeit incomplete, can be found here:

http://15khz.wikidot.com/

And there are other lists like it if you spend a bit of time with Google.

Your 32 incher will almost certainly work fine with Hi-Res, but is unlikely to support 15Khz. You could try a SCART to HDMI adapter, that should work with Low/Med Res and your HDMI port.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thanks for the info. I think I've found a way around it - hidden on another part of the monitor are both composite and component rgb phono inputs. So they should work fine if I just plug in the relevant rgb signals to them I guess?

Has the advantage of meaning my spectrum should work with it too!

Unfortunately it doesn't have built in speakers so I'll find an old set of PC speakers to do the job :)
troed

Post by troed »

PeteW wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:48 pm Thanks for the info. I think I've found a way around it - hidden on another part of the monitor are both composite and component rgb phono inputs. So they should work fine if I just plug in the relevant rgb signals to them I guess?

Has the advantage of meaning my spectrum should work with it too!

Unfortunately it doesn't have built in speakers so I'll find an old set of PC speakers to do the job :)
Component isn't RGB

(but the fact that your screen supports composite raises the chances it _might_ do 15KHz over the VGA port. By no means assured though)
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

troed wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:26 am
Component isn't RGB

(but the fact that your screen supports composite raises the chances it _might_ do 15KHz over the VGA port. By no means assured though)
Just looked component up - I never knew that (learn something new every day!). Until now, I always assumed component and rgb to be the same thing!

I'll give vga a try...
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

If this does not work, it might be worth a shot to get a cheap component to rgb converter (also called YUV2RGB). It is more likely, that the display will accept 15kHz there.
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |

Return to “DISPLAYS & CONVERTERS”