New LCD/LED TV as solution for oldies

All information relating to connecting your ST to a modern TV/monitor.
Petari

New LCD/LED TV as solution for oldies

Post by Petari » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:09 am

Considering prices and quality of diverse converters to HDMI, VGA I think that we can have just little more expensive very good solution, especially if need (second) TV/Monitor .
As best buy here I see Philips 24PFT4022/12 (24 inches) . There is version with smaller display 22.... too . Prices are around 100-140 Euros.
What you get: sharp pic with strong contrast, relative good and loud sound for this price and size. Panel resolution is full HD (1920x1080)
Inputs: Scart - most important for retro ! 2xHDMI, VGA, audio, USB, Antenna. Still supports analog TV, so you can connect your oldie even with RF cable if other way is not available .
Features: Digital/Analog TV - T and C, supports even h265 (hevc) , media playback from USB, recording to USB storage - I tried with 32 GB not too fast Kingston, and it worked well - after some testing of write speed and formatting to special format. But it works (as was to expect) only with digital TV source. Supports PAL, NTSC, Secam input, RGB, component inputs, and I guess S-Video too (did not try yet) . And here is only flaw I saw so far: ST monochrome mode works not. The reason is that max display freq. is 60 Hz.
Picture from ST via RGB cable to Scart is sharp, stable. 50, 60 Hz works fine.

Not retro related: I tried some quality hevc videos in full HD, what is demanding for playback - and worked well, without some slowdowns or visible dropped frames. Subtitle support is very good too. There is plenty of it in firmware - like very extensive help, in some 60 languages .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Gargoyle

Re: New LCD/LED TV as solution for oldies

Post by Gargoyle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:51 am

Oh wow it has Scart too?? I've been reading around and talked to other users, I found out that Scart is probably the best way to go for any ST or STE to get the best picture? Is it easy to change the aspect ratio via settings to 4:3 for an ST(E) picture?

Petari

Post by Petari » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Of course you can set AR 4:3, and then it is OK for ST screen. There is plenty of diverse settings, but can navigate fast trough.
PhilMedReP.jpg
PhilMedReP.jpg (77.75 KiB) Viewed 350 times
PhilMedRd.jpg
PhilMedRd.jpg (56.07 KiB) Viewed 350 times
PhillowRd.jpg
PhillowRd.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 350 times
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Petari

Post by Petari » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 am

More about: S-Video is not supported - not real flaw, since RGB is much better (and present on more Ataris :D )
There is expanded picture mode, when it fills screen completely vertically - talking about active 200 lines part, and AR is OK - ideal for medium res. Of course, if someone wants, may stretch it horizontally too.

Petari

Post by Petari » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:43 pm

More photos:
Phil4to3.jpg
Phil4to3.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Normal format - with borders
PhilMovieExpand.jpg
PhilMovieExpand.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Filling it vertically - good when border is not interesting
PhilOversize.jpg
PhilOversize.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Can adjust it even larger - just example of oversized pic. setting .