Is it possible to generate a 16:9 picture out of Atari

All information relating to connecting your ST to a modern TV/monitor.
mikro

Is it possible to generate a 16:9 picture out of Atari

Post by mikro » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:28 am

This has been bugging me for years but I lack the needed knowledge. What exactly defines that a resolution is interpreted (by LCD, for instance) as 4:3 or 16:9 ? Obviously it's not the width / height because ST Low is never interpreted as 320x200 and even on the Falcon I can set whatever I want but the LCD always insists of an 4:3 ratio (i.e. width / height do change but never to the correct numbers).

Is there a way to achieve this?

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: Is it possible to generate a 16:9 picture out of Atari

Post by Petari » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:19 am

Nothing defines AR of some old type PAL or NTSC or RGB, and RGB is with same scan frequencies as PAL and NTSC . Even on classic monitors it was different with 50 Hz of PAL and 60 Hz of NTSC - because NTSC has less vertical lines. But user could set AR with controls at back side of monitor - mostly height was adjustable.

Your question is wrong btw. If you want 16:9 AR with Atari's video out, it will be for sure too wide. And when talk about resolution, you need to take borders too in account. Monitor doesn't care what is border and what is active part of pic. Not to mention that with analog signal there is no actially horizontal resolution.
I don't know how is it with diverse multisync monitors which can 15-16 KHz, or via some scan converters. With some modern LCD TV there is plenty of settings viewtopic.php?f=30&t=955

Just to add: if you use analog VGA cable, never will get 100% accurately filled display - need to do it manually with width, height and shift controls. Only real digital display outputs like DVI and HDMI provide signals with which can set screen automatically.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

mikro

Post by mikro » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 am

I know the generated picture may not be ideal. I'm mainly curious what exactly forces the LCD to think it's a 4:3 signal and not 16:9. For instance if I set 1152 x 648 using Videlity, my LCD interprets it like "720x576" (just making the number up), tries to rescale this resolution and the result is just terrible. So what it takes to modify the output signal to make the LCD think it's 1152 x 648?

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

There is no general rule. And you asking about unspecified monitor, attached to some converter of questionable quality - which produces some really weird resolution(s). Look all possible settings, and if can set it, set. That's all.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 pm

So Peter, what you are saying is that the interpretation of the aspect ratio is completely down to the monitor and not the computer generating the signal?

Shugs81

Post by Shugs81 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm

It sounds like you need an up scaler... I've got a frame meister and it does an excellent job with rgb on a 27" wide-screen monitor... But I don't think they make them any more... Unless they've brought out a newer model...

The other option is an ossc... https://www.videogameperfection.com/pr ... converter/

I've heard good things.. And the price has dropped a lot since I last looked... Almost tempted to sell my frame meister and get one!

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm

No, I said that there is no AR related info in analog video signals. It is on monitor. And user - and latest is most important :D

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Shugs81 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm
...The other option is an ossc... https://www.videogameperfection.com/pr ... converter/
I've heard good things.. And the price has dropped a lot since I last looked... Almost tempted to sell my frame meister and get one!
The price is .... hmmm ... well, higher than price of new 24 inch TV, with Scart input. On which can set AR, size very well. Look link in my post above.
Ahhh, and you don't need to pay extra for remote controller :roll: