Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Post Reply
keithamiga1200
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by keithamiga1200 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:04 pm

A while ago I download Quartus II 11.1 Web, picked up one of these fake USB blaster, and tried looking/reading the code from PLCC 44 ATF1502AS-10JU44. Quartus ID the Blaster device ok, but couldn't ID the ATF1502AS-10JU44 (nor read it, obviously). I just assumed it was a later version of Quartus (which doesn't support fake Blasters) or I had set it up wrong. Anyhow, the other day, I happened to come across an old CPLD video by Bill of Hackaday/Commodore fame, and I noticed he was talking about the fake USB Blaster and more importantly; he was powering his CPLD project with an external PW source. That gave me the idea of checking the PW of the USB blaster, and I noticed its only reading at 2.40v.

1) Is that the correct/normal voltage?

2) Should I disconnect the Blaster's 2.4v and use a 5v external power supply instead? (Or 3.5v)

Appreciate any advice.

Badwolf
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by Badwolf » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 pm

Sorry, a bit late to this, but since no-one else has replied:

I use a clone USB Blaster (I assume it's a clone, anyway) on my CPLD projects. As I understand it, you have to power the chip being programmed separately anyway -- the 3V3 line on the JTAG header is just to make sure the chip *is* powered, before the blaster will talk to it.

Cheers,

BW.

PaulJ_2.0
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:41 pm

Unzip this and put it into your Data/Atmel folder:



Sorry, this should have been in the zip too:


Place that in the same location

PaulJ_2.0
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:47 pm

I had the same issue with the programmer not ID'ing the JU44 correctly and I had to mess around with those files.
It was ages ago, so dont ask me what I did, I cant remember :)

Oh and you should power whatever you are programming with 5v, you should leave the 3.3v supply from the blaster, that's fine.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12288
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk
Contact:

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by exxos » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:38 am

Also note the PLD has to be powered up as well...
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

keithamiga1200
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by keithamiga1200 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Badwolf wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 pm
Sorry, a bit late to this, but since no-one else has replied:

I use a clone USB Blaster (I assume it's a clone, anyway) on my CPLD projects. As I understand it, you have to power the chip being programmed separately anyway -- the 3V3 line on the JTAG header is just to make sure the chip *is* powered, before the blaster will talk to it.

Cheers,

BW.
Thanks, I appreciate you replying. The YT video from former Commodore engineer Bill (hackaday) he didn't mention a separate power supply, but I could see he was using one, with his project. I had a similar nightmare with a PIC3 programmer (having to use a separate PS). Thanks, now I can have a bash, without worrying about burning the CPLD out :lol:

keithamiga1200
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by keithamiga1200 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:15 pm

PaulJ_2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:41 pm
Unzip this and put it into your Data/Atmel folder:



Sorry, this should have been in the zip too:


Place that in the same location
Thank you

keithamiga1200
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by keithamiga1200 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:17 pm

PaulJ_2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:47 pm
I had the same issue with the programmer not ID'ing the JU44 correctly and I had to mess around with those files.
It was ages ago, so dont ask me what I did, I cant remember :)

Oh and you should power whatever you are programming with 5v, you should leave the 3.3v supply from the blaster, that's fine.
Thanks for confirming, my next question. :)

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12288
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk
Contact:

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by exxos » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:30 pm

@PaulJ_2.0 could you please upload files and not link to external sites thanks.
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PaulJ_2.0
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:10 pm

exxos wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:30 pm
@PaulJ_2.0 could you please upload files and not link to external sites thanks.
Yeah sorry my bad.
I cant edit the post now for some reason.

Post Reply

Return to “ELECTRONICS”