Heatsink with integrated fan

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
DrF

Re: Heatsink with integrated fan

Post by DrF »

I'm not sure about that being a good idea. Heatsinks are meant to pull the heat away as quickly as possible and I guess sink it into something that can handle it?

I've tried running CPUs without heatsinks to test things before and they just lock up/crash usually in seconds :lol:

How hot does your CPU get then?

You would be better off with a heatsink and no fan than a fan with no heatsink I think.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I had the ATX PSU fan blowing over the whole CT60 during testing of the CPUs. at 95MHz the CPU would overheat after about 30mins with no heatsink or fan. The fan got me some more run time onto that, but the CPU was pretty much burning hot. A smaller fan on the CPU might hold up better, but there was a fair airflow from the ATX fan.

You might get away with it at 50MHz speeds, but a heatsink is to increase surface area to dissipate heater faster.. Really you would have to try both methods to see which works better in that particular setup. Of course larger heatsinks are better, and higher CFM fan rates are better. A low CFM fan probably do worse than a heatsink. A high CFM fan may fair better than a heatsink, but the noise would be to loud most likely..

What I was going to suggest before is use some carbon conductive sheet, its 4x more conductive than copper (think panasonic or samsung make it, cant remember), stick it onto the CPU and fold it to the top metal shielding.. no fan and no heatsink needed at all then.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DrF

Post by DrF »

exxos wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 am What I was going to suggest before is use some carbon conductive sheet, its 4x more conductive than copper (think panasonic or samsung make it, cant remember), stick it onto the CPU and fold it to the top metal shielding.. no fan and no heatsink needed then.
I had to buy something like that for a Dell laptop before and cut it to shape some gold coloured foil like sticky stuff. The rubber wanna be stuff they fitted at factory was just not good enough.

If all else fails and you cant get that, what about aluminium tape cut to shape and stacked up?

What about thermal adhesives and some copper coins and creative modeling/modification using a file?

Crazy thought since it needs to be so small how hard would it be to smelt down a few pennies and mold them into a flat square, then saw some groves in it? might even get away without those since I awesome that they are they to improve air flow/surface area.
Glue it down with some thermal glue stuff like Artic Silver ceramic/silver :)

Failing that at least you wont need to buy a pan, how awesome is this :

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

DrF wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am If all else fails and you cant get that, what about aluminium tape cut to shape and stacked up?
I don't think tape is very conductive, and probably a fire risk :P
DrF wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am What about thermal adhesives and some copper coins and creative modeling/modification using a file?
I don't think glue is very conductive overall, may lose something like 50% dissipation over it, so each "layer" would become less and less effective.

Could always use the carbon tape stuff, mount heatsink and fan elsewhere.. Might work using a long length and using the bottom motherboard metal work as a heatsink :shrug: Probably melt the plastic case though :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DrF

Post by DrF »

exxos wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 am
DrF wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am If all else fails and you cant get that, what about aluminium tape cut to shape and stacked up?
I don't think tape is very conductive, and probably a fire risk :P
DrF wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am What about thermal adhesives and some copper coins and creative modeling/modification using a file?
I don't think glue is very conductive overall, may lose something like 50% dissipation over it, so each "layer" would become less and less effective.

Could always use the carbon tape stuff, mount heatsink and fan elsewhere.. Might work using a long length and using the bottom motherboard metal work as a heatsink :shrug: Probably melt the plastic case though :lol:
I was on about the proper alloy tape you get not the silver coloured crap you find in PoundLand, its a pain in the ass and not easy or cheap to find we use it on turbo piping so I think a CPU might just get away with it :) 3M make it, sometimes it appears in Lidl for about £8 a roll :/ you an find it in grow shops and garden centers too.

The glues I was on about were those special ones, not sure how effective they really were people were mad on them in the early 2000s overclocking world, I even seen one with diamonds mixed in so not sure how great that would be pfft

Mounting the fan elsewhere might work our laptops tend to do that but where would it even go in the Falcon?
Our small form factor PCs tend to have some kind of plastic tunnel for blowing air onto the hot bits from the front of the case, they don't like it when you leave that bit out because the stupid clips would not go back in and you really need to get back to important internet stuff like hanging about on Atari forums and cat pictures :lol:

Now this is a bit extreme a Pi with that :

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

mikro wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:58 pm Unfortunately, that size applies only to the fan (yes, a rather misleading title/description there).

I want it for my Falcon's CT2 card, its heatsink is about 30x30x8mm (sitting on an 030) and I need to attach a fan to it. As you can imagine, the biggest enemy is the height, it must fit below 15mm all together otherwise the keyboard makes inadequate pressure to the CPU. I have room to use a slightly bigger heatsink/fan when it comes to width/length but not height unfortunately.
Do you have enough room to fit a radial fan? There are fans with 40x40mm and only 10mm in height, popularly used on 3d printheads. You could place the fan next to the cooler and have airflow running through it.

They would look like this:
Zwischenablagebild.png
Zwischenablagebild.png (117.5 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
mikro

Post by mikro »

Ingo, that's really a neat idea. I must measure the board but looks pretty promising, thanks!

Also thanks to everyone on the 'fan only' idea, obviously you know better so I'm going to follow your advice and avoid that kind of solution.
mikro

Post by mikro »

DrF wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 pm Those style of fans were popular on video cards and motherboard chipsets. I just used to look for "heatsink integrated fan" , "chipset cooler" , "gpu heatsink" , "northbridge cooler" I'm not sure on their proper technical name.
Thank you very much! I have found such fan here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142855998003 ... 40x40x10mm, perfect.

Too bad I have installed a different solution instead in the meantime. :D But I'm keeping those just in case cooling wont be enough with my present solution.

Return to “ELECTRONICS”