Lead-free soldering

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
PaulJ

Re: Lead-free soldering

Post by PaulJ »

You're going to need to pry my leaded solder from my cold dead fingers..!!! I will obstain from using lead free solder so there is enough that the rest of the world can take on the challenge of using it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sandord

Post by sandord »

PaulJ wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:51 pm You're going to need to pry my leaded solder from my cold dead fingers..!!! I will obstain from using lead free solder so there is enough that the rest of the world can take on the challenge of using it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: No.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

:)
tzok

Post by tzok »

I find lead free solder fine for a new stuff, but not for repairing old one. I would't care about inhaling lead, as it almost doesn't vapor during soldering. What is really toxic are the vapors of flux. I'm using Sn60Pb40 with SW26 flux and lead free Sn99Cu0.7Ag0.3 with 1.1.3 flux (1.1.3 a.k.a. SW-27 or SW-32 in lead free and 1.1.2 a.k.a SW-26 in leaded one, both rosin based, but the newer one is halogen free).
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Here's a good article that discusses the traits of lead and no lead.
[url=https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-disa ... ead-solder[/url]
sandord

Post by sandord »

Ok, ok, you got me. I'm moving back :roll:
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thats up to you.. :)
Neffers

Post by Neffers »

Use what feels best to you. Just don't get annoyed when chemistry fights you when you want to remove it. It's a horrible experience. Desoldering is a LOT worse than applying.

That lead free stuff is absolutely terrible for removal, the chemistry is fighting you. You can apply a low point melt solder to help (it increases cost vastly, silver) extract out of a through hole, it reduces the viscosity.

Cheapest way is to flood impregnated braid with flux, either by pen or swabbing with the proper thick stuff.

Acid etch flux is great, but YOU MUST clean up after use, as it will happily eat away at traces, and over time will errode most traces, and wiring.
Resident idiot. (Qualified, got a Diploma and everything)
sandord

Post by sandord »

sandord wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 am Ok, ok, you got me. I'm moving back :roll:
I just got my self a pound of solder wire to assure that I'm doing as I said :D
It's got an expiry date on it of june 2021 so I've got three years to use this stuff all up :lol:
Neffers

Post by Neffers »

I've got solder that pre-dates me, works fine. Some bits need a bit of encouragement with a bit of fine abrasive prior to use, to remove the years of oxidisation for a good joint, but there's nothing wrong with it.
Resident idiot. (Qualified, got a Diploma and everything)

Return to “ELECTRONICS”