Lead-free soldering

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lead-free soldering

Post by IngoQ »

sandord wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:26 am Too much lead makes you go :excited:
Yes, and a classic symptom of lead poisoning is a irational love of old stuff :-P
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
sandord

Post by sandord »

IngoQ wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:41 pm
sandord wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:26 am Too much lead makes you go :excited:
Yes, and a classic symptom of lead poisoning is a irational love of old stuff :-P
:lolbig: :cheers:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:41 pm Yes, and a classic symptom of lead poisoning is a irational love of old stuff :-P
Dang it! So my case must be extreme then.. It shortens your life expectancy so I am told ( when wife finds out)..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
sandord

Post by sandord »

I've read in a few places that using leadless solder reduces the tip life by a few times due to the increased working temperature :x
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

sandord wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:28 pm I've read in a few places that using leadless solder reduces the tip life by a few times due to the increased working temperature :x
Yeah I read that also..

I think that's one reason I go through a lot of tips, I mostly pushing 400-450c as I am impatient for the solder to melt :lol: :mad:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
troed

Post by troed »

Yeah that's high. I'm at around 300 for normal work, and only raise the temperature if I'm going to do some stubborn pins connected to big sinks.
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:36 pm Yeah that's high. I'm at around 300 for normal work, and only raise the temperature if I'm going to do some stubborn pins connected to big sinks.
No wonder I completely oxydised by last tip in a few weeks... I've been soldering at 400+ C leadless. At this exact moment I'm trying 330 C and it works just fine. Taking better care of the tip as well, keeping it tinned, cleaning it with copper wool intermittently.
troed

Post by troed »

sandord wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 pm No wonder I completely oxydised by last tip in a few weeks... I've been soldering at 400+ C leadless. At this exact moment I'm trying 330 C and it works just fine. Taking better care of the tip as well, keeping it tinned, cleaning it with copper wool intermittently.
Yeah I only use copper wool. No sponge. I have the feeling that rapid cooling cannot be good.
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 pm Yeah I only use copper wool. No sponge. I have the feeling that rapid cooling cannot be good.
Rapid temperature changes cause metal fatigue so indeed, it is not good for the tip's lifespan.
sandord

Post by sandord »

I'm still using lead free all the time and I have absolutely no issues with it.

One reason to keep doing so, which I didn't really think of before, is that lead sooner or later ends up in the environment. As most house-hold trash gets burned or dumped, the lead will ultimately melt, dissolve into water and leak into ground water.

I think half of the solder I use, ends up in my trash bin anyway. Think of it, everything that comes out of your solder sucker, copper wool, tip cleaning sponge and simple tapping the iron to shake of excess solder...

The least we could do is collect the lead separately and submit it for chemical processing. But of course, that's too much effort for most people. I know I'd rather use lead free solder instead :lol:

Return to “ELECTRONICS”