Tip restorer testing

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
sety

Re: Tip restorer testing

Post by sety » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:57 am

I got one of these to try...
That stuff is magic! It's really just NH4Cl mixed with solder paste but it works a treat

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:42 am

sety wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:57 am
That stuff is magic! It's really just NH4Cl mixed with solder paste but it works a treat
Wait, what? That's the stuff that goes in many kinds of candy. That makes it almost edible :lol:

DrF

Post by DrF » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:45 am

I had the same one that Exxos got a few years ago under some random Chinese brand, its ok for a long time, then it starts to get all brown and gummy after a few 100 uses still seems to work though, just smokes more :p

At some point I lost it, then had to use a brass ball that was ok but not perfect.

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:09 am

I don't know if anyone else does this, but after replacing my last ruined iron a few years ago I heard this advice, which I've been following since... after turning the iron off each time I use it, I coat the tip in solder to protect it from oxidising.

By the way, soldering iron tips aren't solid iron, they're iron-plated copper (at least all of mine have been), so if that tip restorer doesn't work *at all*, the iron coating might be completely gone.