EAGLE CAD SCHEMATIC EDITOR TUTORIAL PART 1

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
PaulJ

Re: EAGLE CAD SCHEMATIC EDITOR TUTORIAL PART 1

Post by PaulJ »

Thank You, when you look for older stuff the picking get a little slim.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:37 pm Thank You, when you look for older stuff the picking get a little slim.
Its very hard to find libs for a lot of stuff :( rodolphe created a lot of the stf parts himself. I'm getting better at the lib editor, so will do a guide for that eventually.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, the modern stuff has everything but when you get older parts start disappearing. Wading nil making your own devices appears a little daunting when your just starting. By all means keep going with the tutorials. When your starting its really helpful to get through the process so one knows what is used and what is special! Thanks again exxos.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yeah, I know what you mean.. Its like when I started with the altera software, confusing as hell... But when you find the right guides, its like 5 seconds and your away.. Then a year later, one tends to forget and lose the guides. A lot of guides on the net make no sense or I end in unsolvable issues. So I have to work it out myself which can take hours or days.. It just gets frustrating to do simple stuff when there is no proper quick start guides.

When I was looking at xlinix stuff, I wanted to design a schematic and I don't think i even found a single guide to get started with that. They seem the most popular devices, but I gave up in the end. I saw some guides for altera, mostly Indian videos, but I got started in quartus a lot faster and did simple test stuff in a afternoon. There's pros and con's to it all, I just like stuff which works with minimal faffing about..anyway...

I hope to spare some other people such pain and have some simple guides to get people started. Like everything else, easy when you know how.. Eagle may seem a nightmare for a beginner. Its pretty simple really.. But when your getting started and there's 50 steps to do something simple..simple as it may be, 50 steps makes it hard to digest all in one go, so its not so simple as such..

I've been using eagle for like 20 years so I'm likely to stick with it. Some people may hate it and prefer something else. I got into eagle from easypc which was a DOS version back in my youth. There a proper windows version now, but I didn't like it for some reason. I tried a few other top PCB programs back then as well.. I think one top one kept crashing all the time and some manufactures were using it, might have been protel, can't remember now. Some were just annoying. I just want to select the tool and go kinda thing, not faff about in multiple menus to select something trivial etc.

Eagle seems to be getting a bad reputation lately, think it was after version 8 or so. They messed with the icons around version 7.. There was some hacked up icons to make them look they they used to. IMHO its a bad sign when companies have to started moving stuff about and changing icons just for the sake of it. They made them blurred which was hard on the eye and with them changing the icons graphics as well, they just made it terrible to use. Its why uploaded version 6 .. Most of my stuff was designed with version 4 anyways.

Sorry for the waffle. Eagle for beginners I think is just fine. There may be better programs out there. But better the devil you know, as they say :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Thanks for putting this together, Eagle is another thing I've struggled to find good tutorials for, so I'll be going to have a proper run through this. When I actually finish tiling the kitchen :(
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Great guide. :thanksyellow:

I am a practical kind of guy and when I get shown how to do things it makes it a lot easier. Although I can generally figure things out, having a good guide just like this one really helps to cut down the hours of figuring stuff out.

Thanks for the effort in putting this together.

In regards to libraries it would be great if as a community we could bring the old Atari components and others together in one place. There are a few out there on the web e.g. the rom cart library and others but one place would be great.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I'm finding its hard to locate the symbols you need. I've been looking for 32 pin PLCC for memory chips. Also how do you handle the situation where the footprint is for soldering the ic to the board and not the socket footprint. I guess one needs the electrical symbol with a socket footprint. :?:

Exxos, once again thx for the tutorial. It has helped to get me going. :thanksyellow:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:45 pm I'm finding its hard to locate the symbols you need. I've been looking for 32 pin PLCC for memory chips. Also how do you handle the situation where the footprint is for soldering the ic to the board and not the socket footprint. I guess one needs the electrical symbol with a socket footprint. :?:
That's the problem with it all, lack of decent support libs :( I assume this is a problem with other PCB editors as well. Rodolphe did a lot of the parts for me as he knew how to use the lib editor. Its one reason the STF schematic took so long to happen because we had to create a lot of the stuff ourselves :(

The general footprints I use are usually in there, but only in the reference libs, which are mostly just PCB parts. A lot of my stuff I just didn't bother with the schematic as parts many parts were missing. A lot of parts are called silly names, which sometimes make them hard to find.

Its pretty much design your own stuff, or pay $50 a part for eda to design them for you. Either way its annoying, as doing a simple ROM adapter board for example can take ages as there may not be the exact ROM part in any of the libs. Also be warned a lot of the parts are not correct, so always print it out on paper and check the real part before PCB production. My video dac board fell victim to that :(

I will upload my V6 libs when I get back home.. but really I need to do a tutorial on creating parts.. but I only just started doing that recently myself, so its still a bit confusing for me :( I will see if I can do something tomorrow..
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

This is a dump of my V6 lbr folder. I've taken out all my stuff because it was all hacked-job stuff and older versions which a lot are not correct etc.

In any case, AFAIK, this is a huge dump of libs of everything I found a few years ago. If parts are not in one of those libs, you can almost assume there isn't one. No hard in looking around the net of course, but my luck in finding parts has been pretty much zero over the years.

lbr.zip
(18.61 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:21 pm This is a dump of my V6 lbr folder. I've taken out all my stuff because it was all hacked-job stuff and older versions which a lot are not correct etc.

In any case, AFAIK, this is a huge dump of libs of everything I found a few years ago. If parts are not in one of those libs, you can almost assume there isn't one. No hard in looking around the net of course, but my luck in finding parts has been pretty much zero over the years.

lbr.zip
Thanks Exxos, I'm sure this will be helpful. Guess it would be worth the effort to figure out how to make the objects. :) :) :)

Return to “ELECTRONICS”