EAGLE CAD PCB EDITOR TUTORIAL PART 2

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

EAGLE CAD PCB EDITOR TUTORIAL PART 2

Post by exxos »

In part 1 we looked how to create a schematic. So next we need to create the PCB file.

We go into the FILE menu and click on "SWITCH TO BOARD"

1.JPG
1.JPG (89.87 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

Eagle will then give you this (pretty useless) box where we click YES.

2.JPG
2.JPG (16.2 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

We then get a screen like below. Where our circuit is placed near the bottom left.

The huge white box is Eagles dimension outline layer ( denotes the outline of the PCB, we will alter that later)

3.JPG
3.JPG (81.73 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

We use the GROUP tool and draw a box around our circuit so we can move it inside the dimension box.

4.JPG
4.JPG (81.12 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

Our circuit is now highlighted and we click the MOVE tool.

5.JPG
5.JPG (81.99 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

Right click on the circuit and then we can move it like below. LEFT click to place the circuit inside the square. Actual location inside the box isn't important as we will change the box later on anyway.

6.JPG
6.JPG (84.3 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

Now let's zoom in (using the wheel on the mouse) so we can see thigns easier, and use the MOVE tool to place the parts where we want them.

7.JPG
7.JPG (94.62 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

After moving all the parts, click the RATSNEST icon to recalculate the "air wires" . In Eagle they are called "unrouted" signals, or "air wires". These are the "wires" you linked up in the schematic editor. Now Eagle will tidy up the air wires a little bit.

8.JPG
8.JPG (95 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

We need to click the GRID and I chose the settings below (this should really be done from the start but I only just remembered :) )

9.JPG
9.JPG (106.75 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EAGLE CAD PCB EDITOR TUTORIAL PART 2

Post by exxos »

To route the actual PCB tracks we use the ROUTE tool. In the WIDTH menu bar I used 1.016 mm track width. Its a drop down menu so just select the width you want.

Then click on a pad on a part where you want to start to route from. Eagle will draw the track and follow your mouse movements with the track..

R1.JPG
R1.JPG (136.02 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

Now if we right click, we can change the angles/bends of the track routed to something which routes a little nicer.

R2.JPG
R2.JPG (138.58 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

We then can move to the left and click the destination pad and the track is done.

Now route all the other tracks and make them look as nice as you can...

R3.JPG
R3.JPG (125.88 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

We have a wire on JP1 (right pad) which doesn't look so easy to route.

So option 1 , is to select a smaller track width. In this case I use 0.254mm and route it like below...

R4.JPG
R4.JPG (128.29 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

But wait, I changed my mind and I don't want to do it like that anymore. So lets complicate it even more.. That's the way I roll sometimes ;)

Use the RIPUP tool... Then click the track we just created and delete it.

TIP: Eagle will only delete one particular section of a track, not the whole lot. So you may need to click the track in multiple places to remove it.

NOTE: Double clicking traces will remove ALL signals connected to it. So if you double click on the GND signal for example, it will rip up the whole lot. This probably isn't what you want to do right now, so don't do it. Unless you want to cause yourself pain, in which case go right ahead :)

R5.JPG
R5.JPG (129.01 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

So we should be back to this.. with our "air wire" which is the un-routed track once again.

R6.JPG
R6.JPG (120.13 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

So lets try routing the signal on the bottom of the PCB instead.

We click the LAYER menu and select TOP layer.

R7.JPG
R7.JPG (137.7 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

Now when you click on the right pad of JP1, Eagle will route on the TOP layer. All signals connected to it (in this case GND) will be highlighted.

NOTE: Mine highlights in yellow (its how I set it up and may not be the same colour for you )

R8.JPG
R8.JPG (127.18 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

So route the signal like below. Right click away if you need to change angles of the track.

R9.JPG
R9.JPG (128.93 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

Now lets zoom out so we can see the outer white box (dimension border).

Use the MOVE tool and move the box lines one at a time so it looks something like below.

This will be the overall dimensions of the PCB when (eventually) goes to the PCB house.

TIP: Always leave a little room around the outside of the PCB otherwise you could run the risk of parts being chopped off etc. Bare in mind though, larger PCB's are more expensive, so leave a little space around the edges, but don't be silly about it :)

DI1.JPG
DI1.JPG (127.93 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Our PCB is basically done at this point. So lets learn some new cool tricks...

Remember when I said not to double click anything with the RIPUP tool ? Well do that on the tracks in the middle of the IC (GND tracks). Lets rip them all up.

For some reason it proved me wrong and didn't rip up the track connecting to R4 (this could vary in different versions or settings, who knows..) Anyway, click that rack and rip it up as well :)

1.JPG
1.JPG (126.55 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

Select the POLYGON tool....

Change the WIDTH in the top menu bar to 0.254mm..

2.JPG
2.JPG (137.23 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

Now click near the top left of the white dimension box and draw a red line all the way around it. Once you have done so, it will turn into a dotted line..

3.JPG
3.JPG (139.87 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

Next we need to give the new polygon (dotty red line) a name, we shall call it dave... well not really.. lets call it GND instead :)

Click the NAME tool.. We get a box pop up with the a default signal name of "N$1". So change this to GND and click OK....

...and nothing happened ? Well, not yet...

4.JPG
4.JPG (151.76 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

We now click the RATSNEST button and now Eagle will auto flood the GND connections with copper fill...

5.JPG
5.JPG (126 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Now Eagle has automatically connected all GND signals and filled the whole top layer with "GND fill".

NOTE: If we go back to the start of this POLYGON voodoo, and select BOTTOM LAYER from the menu, we would have done all this on the bottom layer instead of the top.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

There is of course a lot of stuff which can be done, but I am not going to list anything more for the moment as not to confuse people to much. I have stated the basics to get started :)

In part 3 I will explain how to export gerber files and explain more about all the layers...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Very good exxos, I had to drag a windows 7 machine out of the shed but it did still run so I'll be running through your tutorial. Very good. Thank you.

I think the biggest issues with eagle and kicad is figuring out what you don't need to screw with but I will be following these threads closely. :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm Very good exxos, I had to drag a windows 7 machine out of the shed but it did still run so I'll be running through your tutorial. Very good. Thank you.
They do do a MAC and Linux version.. but I've not used either, and they keep trying to make it as alien as possible so I'm not even looking at later Windoze versions.
PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm I think the biggest issues with eagle and kicad is figuring out what you don't need to screw with but I will be following these threads closely. :)
All the default settings are fine mostly. I've not even talked about routing via's or DRC etc yet either.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 pm
PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm Very good exxos, I had to drag a windows 7 machine out of the shed but it did still run so I'll be running through your tutorial. Very good. Thank you.
They do do a MAC and Linux version.. but I've not used either, and they keep trying to make it as alien as possible so I'm not even looking at later Windoze versions.
PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm I think the biggest issues with eagle and kicad is figuring out what you don't need to screw with but I will be following these threads closely. :)
All the default settings are fine mostly. I've not even talked about routing via's or DRC etc yet either.
Very good exxos, just finished part 1. Will start part 2 in the morning.

I think part of the trouble I had with eagle when I tried it was due to the mac version vs the windows version.All the examples and utube clips used a older windows version while I was using the latest mac version. They didn't mach up that good so things were missing or changed which made it confusing. Maybe when I get some what fluent with the windows version I can switch back. Never the less your tutorial part one was excellent. I'll do part two tomorrow. Yes please do part 3.

Thanks
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 pm
Well done Exxos, I just finished your part 2 eagle tutorial and it gives me a great base to work from. Eagerly awaiting part three..

Well I guess I'm an eagle fan now.

Thanks

Return to “ELECTRONICS”