Scope recommendation

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Atarian Computing

Re: Scope recommendation

Post by Atarian Computing »

Dave's review unit had a buggy firmware that caused all the problems he had. I would not let that affect my choice.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Atarian Computing wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm Dave's review unit had a buggy firmware that caused all the problems he had. I would not let that affect my choice.
Dave does say something about 100's of posts relating to it. I mean if its fixed, problem solved. Though it would still put me off personally.

I am also skeptical about that being a firmware issue as well, it looks more like the analouge input amps themselves have the fault, but thats a hardware fault (if it is that). Fixing it in software makes me if they did a coverup fix.

I would need to know exactly what they said the fault was and exactly what they fixed.. Even so, seems a lot of reading (work) to figure out whats going on.

Dave should really review the fixed version as he has the proper test kit for testing this stuff out.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Thanks for all your input.

Ultimately I decided to go with the Rigol 1054Z, which Dave testet here:

My main reason was, the bigger and better display, but of course having 4 channels instead of 2 is quite nice :) When you go through the software options, you can only be impressed, what they packed in for that low price-point of 400€. Lots of measurements, statistics, and even FFT as well as serial and I2C decoding, if you activate the software options.

And btw.: The DS1054z is a 100MHz-Scope, that is limited by software. If you want to activate all features, incl. Advanced Triggers, Decoders, 24M Memory, Recorder, 500µV Vertical and 100MHz Bandwidth, there is of course a hack for it :)

http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

IngoQ wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:37 am Thanks for all your input.

Ultimately I decided to go with the Rigol 1054Z, which Dave testet here:

My main reason was, the bigger and better display, but of course having 4 channels instead of 2 is quite nice :) When you go through the software options, you can only be impressed, what they packed in for that low price-point of 400€. Lots of measurements, statistics, and even FFT as well as serial and I2C decoding, if you activate the software options.

And btw.: The DS1054z is a 100MHz-Scope, that is limited by software. If you want to activate all features, incl. Advanced Triggers, Decoders, 24M Memory, Recorder, 500µV Vertical and 100MHz Bandwidth, there is of course a hack for it :)

http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/
Excellent choice!
Sausageinabun

Post by Sausageinabun »

I've got a couple of scopes, including the Hantek DSO5202P, and it is a decent little scope, for the money.

If money was no oblect of course, I would more than likely have something far more expensive and with many more features. But then I always want the expensive toys, and to be honest it does what I need it to do, 200Mhz front end, two chan 1GSa/s and a decent screen.

Ultimately though, you have made an excellent choice :-)
A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station...

Return to “ELECTRONICS”