Scope recommendation

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Atarian Computing

Re: Scope recommendation

Post by Atarian Computing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Dave's review unit had a buggy firmware that caused all the problems he had. I would not let that affect my choice.

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Atarian Computing wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm
Dave's review unit had a buggy firmware that caused all the problems he had. I would not let that affect my choice.
Dave does say something about 100's of posts relating to it. I mean if its fixed, problem solved. Though it would still put me off personally.

I am also skeptical about that being a firmware issue as well, it looks more like the analouge input amps themselves have the fault, but thats a hardware fault (if it is that). Fixing it in software makes me if they did a coverup fix.

I would need to know exactly what they said the fault was and exactly what they fixed.. Even so, seems a lot of reading (work) to figure out whats going on.

Dave should really review the fixed version as he has the proper test kit for testing this stuff out.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks for all your input.

Ultimately I decided to go with the Rigol 1054Z, which Dave testet here:

My main reason was, the bigger and better display, but of course having 4 channels instead of 2 is quite nice :) When you go through the software options, you can only be impressed, what they packed in for that low price-point of 400€. Lots of measurements, statistics, and even FFT as well as serial and I2C decoding, if you activate the software options.

And btw.: The DS1054z is a 100MHz-Scope, that is limited by software. If you want to activate all features, incl. Advanced Triggers, Decoders, 24M Memory, Recorder, 500µV Vertical and 100MHz Bandwidth, there is of course a hack for it :)

http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:50 am

IngoQ wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:37 am
Thanks for all your input.

Ultimately I decided to go with the Rigol 1054Z, which Dave testet here:

My main reason was, the bigger and better display, but of course having 4 channels instead of 2 is quite nice :) When you go through the software options, you can only be impressed, what they packed in for that low price-point of 400€. Lots of measurements, statistics, and even FFT as well as serial and I2C decoding, if you activate the software options.

And btw.: The DS1054z is a 100MHz-Scope, that is limited by software. If you want to activate all features, incl. Advanced Triggers, Decoders, 24M Memory, Recorder, 500µV Vertical and 100MHz Bandwidth, there is of course a hack for it :)

http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/
Excellent choice!

Sausageinabun

Post by Sausageinabun » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:12 am

I've got a couple of scopes, including the Hantek DSO5202P, and it is a decent little scope, for the money.

If money was no oblect of course, I would more than likely have something far more expensive and with many more features. But then I always want the expensive toys, and to be honest it does what I need it to do, 200Mhz front end, two chan 1GSa/s and a decent screen.

Ultimately though, you have made an excellent choice :-)
A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station...