Scope recommendation

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scope recommendation

Post by IngoQ »

Hi,

I am looking for a scope for my workbench. Main use will be of course work on old hardware. I would like to visualise noise in power supplies, clock signals and video signals. Since I am not likely to earn money with it, money is a factor :)

I have a PC on my bench, so a pc based solution would be an option, if it had any advantages.

Does anyone have recommendations and/or experiences that could be helpful?
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
Atarian Computing

Re: Scope recommendation

Post by Atarian Computing »

Even a used analog scope would probably work for you.

A used Rigol DS1102E would be good.

For new models I'd say Hantek DSO5000 series is best bang for buck.

The best quality "budget" scope is the Rigol DS1054z
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I know Rodolphe uses a expensive USB version, can't say what that is like. Though I know there are cheap versions about which either do not work properly, or the software is unstable.

Dave Jones has a good video on scope "ins and outs". Basically all the cheaper scopes, mostly USB ones claim fantastic specs, but they are just so rubbish its unreal.

When I got my scope, Rigol DS1052E, it cost somewhere around £300. If you look up the specs for that, you don't want anything less if you are going to be doing any serious work.

https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-DS1052 ... s1052e.htm

Its a few years old now, I'm sure if you shop around you could find something better spec for maybe cheaper. That one you can flash the firmware into the next model up (costing £300 more) ;)

I couldn't have found all the bugs on the ST motherboards without it. Cheaper scopes would have simply missed the faults in the signals. I had trouble even capturing them with the scope, needed way more sample memory, higher speeds, needed the lot :lol: Mostly it was pressing stop/go a million times until I just happened to capture the faults. Was a bit of a leap of faith there as well, but I managed to capture them in the end.

For me, its more practial to have a bench scope than a PC based one. Which ever you decide to go for, do not go for a spec less than the DS1052 has.. not if you want to do any soft of serious debugging. Cheaper scopes will basically "lie" to you.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

I use a Saleae Logic Pro 16 ( https://www.saleae.com/ ) that can do some analog stuff. I like the logic analyzer part but for a pure oscilloscope I would go with a Rigol and reflash it (that's one of my near future plan :) ).
As exxos said, my logic pro 16 is not cheap .. but when developing the 68020 card it proved unvaluable :)
And it's so much better than the cheap stuff with crappy software (me and exxos tried a few).
RoRo
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Thanks guys, that was exactly the feedback I had hoped for :)

I thought of a used analog one before, but it might be simply a lack of space that prevents me from going that route. Besides the obvious disadvantages like lacking one-shot-capabilities, etc.

So my options seem to be:
  • Rigol DS1052E (50 MHz) - 321 € new (Amazon)
  • Rigol DS1102E (100 MHz) - 339 € new (Amazon)
  • Hantek DSO5102B (100 MHz) - 250€ new (Amazon)
Specwise all three are quite close: 2 Channels, 1GS/s, 1M sample memory...

Since the price difference between the two Rigols is minimal, I would perhaps make no sense to go for the 50MHz one, 1GS/s should be sufficient for 100Mhz as well (yes, I watched Daves videos ;) ). The Hantek one is a lot cheaper, and I like, that it has a much larger display. So I probably tend to that...

I would love to buy used, but there are none, appearantly people are satisified with them, once they have them ;)

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

IngoQ wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am Thanks guys, that was exactly the feedback I had hoped for :)

I thought of a used analog one before, but it might be simply a lack of space that prevents me from going that route. Besides the obvious disadvantages like lacking one-shot-capabilities, etc.

So my options seem to be:
Specwise all three are quite close: 2 Channels, 1GS/s, 1M sample memory...

Since the price difference between the two Rigols is minimal, I would perhaps make no sense to go for the 50MHz one, 1GS/s should be sufficient for 100Mhz as well (yes, I watched Daves videos ;) ). The Hantek one is a lot cheaper, and I like, that it has a much larger display. So I probably tend to that...

I would love to buy used, but there are none, appearantly people are satisified with them, once they have them ;)
Of these 3 I would definitely go for the Hantek. It actually is a very good scope for the price.

Josh.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Larger screen is always good :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
tfhh

Post by tfhh »

Hi,
IngoQ wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am
I would strongly recommend the Rigol DS1102E. The price difference between the "50 MHz" and "100 MHz" version are too less, and newer firmware versions prevent you from illegal patching the DS1052E to a DS1102E (there´s really no difference... only different firmware and label).

The DS1102E is at my home for over three years. Nearly all other Atari 8-Bit developer I know of have also this model - also very recommended at a lot of hobby tinkerer forums. It´s easy to use, has a good and bright display, good analytic functions, two channels with seperate trigger input and - mostly never regarded - the probes are high quality!

So take a Rigol and have fun :D

Jurgen
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

You make a strong point there... I have found LOTS of reviews, experiences and even tutorials for the Rigols... There's a lot of stuff for the Hantek as well, but mainly it's about hacking, which I am not interested in. Dave seems not to be impressed that much as well:

So maybe the Rigol is more playing on the safe side ... And regarding the probes: Yes, that's a point, too.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:19 pm You make a strong point there... I have found LOTS of reviews, experiences and even tutorials for the Rigols... There's a lot of stuff for the Hantek as well, but mainly it's about hacking, which I am not interested in. Dave seems not to be impressed that much as well:

So maybe the Rigol is more playing on the safe side ... And regarding the probes: Yes, that's a point, too.
:shock: That scope would be a epic fail for me then. Those bad ringing waveforms he sees, thats what I am mostly seeing and debugging with Atari stuff, if the scope was doing that for every signal, I wouldn't stand a chance to debug actual signals as by that video, every signal would have ringing, good or not.

Return to “ELECTRONICS”