Can anyone identify this part?

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Steve

Can anyone identify this part?

Post by Steve »

Hey guys,

I've been recently getting in to SGI hardware and a friend of mine is trying to find out what a certain part of his PSU is, perhaps someone here can help? I'll pass it on

Here is the link:
https://forums.irix.cc/thread-1065.html

Cheers
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone identify this part?

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well it looks like some sort of bus bar running through it, but I think you'd need to remove the 2 yellow halves to expose exactly what it is.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Those yellow parts look like they're iron, so they could be magnets or mild steel. Maybe some sort of inductor for smoothing out high frequencies?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 am Those yellow parts look like they're iron, so they could be magnets or mild steel. Maybe some sort of inductor for smoothing out high frequencies?
Could be, and they are clearly split for installation and held together with tape.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
project23

Post by project23 »

Maybe some detail about the material would help...

Is the yellow material solid? Spongy? It isn't really clear in the picture.

Also the 'wrap' around it... is that just empty tape or very thin enamelled wire?

Also is there continuity from one side of the component to the other? (on the metal bar sections)

*shrug* just throwing out questions, lol
project23

Post by project23 »

Now that I think about it, could it simply be a power rail? I mean that's some real funky arrangement of closely packed boards there... what if the yellow 'stuff' is just insulation around a pretty high current power rail?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Seems that it may have been a surface mount resettable fuse...
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

Those fuses are for PCB mounting, and those are much smaller, also those fuses would probably not smell.

If I were to guess it would also be a buss bar, just measure the top and the bottom piece of metal and it will probably be fully conductive.

The defective part will probably be something else, as you need to open it up to repair it anyway , you should probably do so and have a better look.

Return to “ELECTRONICS”