Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
keithamiga1200

Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by keithamiga1200 »

A while ago I download Quartus II 11.1 Web, picked up one of these fake USB blaster, and tried looking/reading the code from PLCC 44 ATF1502AS-10JU44. Quartus ID the Blaster device ok, but couldn't ID the ATF1502AS-10JU44 (nor read it, obviously). I just assumed it was a later version of Quartus (which doesn't support fake Blasters) or I had set it up wrong. Anyhow, the other day, I happened to come across an old CPLD video by Bill of Hackaday/Commodore fame, and I noticed he was talking about the fake USB Blaster and more importantly; he was powering his CPLD project with an external PW source. That gave me the idea of checking the PW of the USB blaster, and I noticed its only reading at 2.40v.

1) Is that the correct/normal voltage?

2) Should I disconnect the Blaster's 2.4v and use a 5v external power supply instead? (Or 3.5v)

Appreciate any advice.
Badwolf

Re: Altera USB Blaster (fake) not reading CPLD

Post by Badwolf »

Sorry, a bit late to this, but since no-one else has replied:

I use a clone USB Blaster (I assume it's a clone, anyway) on my CPLD projects. As I understand it, you have to power the chip being programmed separately anyway -- the 3V3 line on the JTAG header is just to make sure the chip *is* powered, before the blaster will talk to it.

Cheers,

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Unzip this and put it into your Data/Atmel folder:

Sorry, this should have been in the zip too:

Place that in the same location
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

I had the same issue with the programmer not ID'ing the JU44 correctly and I had to mess around with those files.
It was ages ago, so dont ask me what I did, I cant remember :)

Oh and you should power whatever you are programming with 5v, you should leave the 3.3v supply from the blaster, that's fine.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Also note the PLD has to be powered up as well...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
keithamiga1200

Post by keithamiga1200 »

Badwolf wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 pm Sorry, a bit late to this, but since no-one else has replied:

I use a clone USB Blaster (I assume it's a clone, anyway) on my CPLD projects. As I understand it, you have to power the chip being programmed separately anyway -- the 3V3 line on the JTAG header is just to make sure the chip *is* powered, before the blaster will talk to it.

Cheers,

BW.
Thanks, I appreciate you replying. The YT video from former Commodore engineer Bill (hackaday) he didn't mention a separate power supply, but I could see he was using one, with his project. I had a similar nightmare with a PIC3 programmer (having to use a separate PS). Thanks, now I can have a bash, without worrying about burning the CPLD out :lol:
keithamiga1200

Post by keithamiga1200 »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:41 pm Unzip this and put it into your Data/Atmel folder:

Sorry, this should have been in the zip too:

Place that in the same location
Thank you
keithamiga1200

Post by keithamiga1200 »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:47 pm I had the same issue with the programmer not ID'ing the JU44 correctly and I had to mess around with those files.
It was ages ago, so dont ask me what I did, I cant remember :)

Oh and you should power whatever you are programming with 5v, you should leave the 3.3v supply from the blaster, that's fine.
Thanks for confirming, my next question. :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

@PaulJ_2.0 could you please upload files and not link to external sites thanks.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

exxos wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:30 pm @PaulJ_2.0 could you please upload files and not link to external sites thanks.
Yeah sorry my bad.
I cant edit the post now for some reason.

Return to “ELECTRONICS”