Small/thin shielded cable?

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Steve

Small/thin shielded cable?

Post by Steve »

Hi guys,

I need some advice on cable shielding. I'd like to shield some cable in some of my Ataris, they are generally signal clock cables 32mhz, 500khz etc. But the problem is that any shielded cable I find is either one of two things; 1. fat coax or 2. audio cable like for headphones.

So option 1 is too fat although I like the single core copper aspect and option 2 although a perfect size I'm not sure if it would be the right type of cable to carry a clock frequency, plus they're always stranded.

Advices plz thx ;)
DoG

Re: Small/thin shielded cable?

Post by DoG »

Try to twist some of the same size around the clock wire and ground them.

EDIT: fine enamelled wire perhaps. Then heat shrink tubes around all if you want.

EDIT2: Those small thin antenna wires that are in mobiles ought to be shielded. I don't know what they use or how they look inside though.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Problem is, I tried such thing on the falcon before as "people recommend it". The large coax is madness, the thinner stuff like audio etc the capacitance of the cable is high enough to kill 32MHz speeds.. So whatever cable you find, you need to make sure the length you use doesn't not have more than say 5pF across it, else you will start to attenuate the clock. Generally look for overall screening which has extra insulation between the core and shielding.. But really I think its more trouble that its worth..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
dalek

Post by dalek »

Cat 6?
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

One of the thicker wal wart power cables?
Most of them are shielded if they are round.

Return to “ELECTRONICS”