Xilinx 64bit Windows 10 Driver Installation

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
PaulJ_2.0

Xilinx 64bit Windows 10 Driver Installation

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

I decided to install Impact on my Windows 10 Laptop and encountered the driver issue that others have reported when installing the programmer.
I did a little digging and found it was falling over when installing properly due to the signature.

To install the driver, browse to the 64bit folder on the supplied DVD and right click the file 'windrvr6.inf' and click install.
This should install the signed driver correctly.
UnderTheRain

Re: Xilinx 64bit Windows 10 Driver Installation

Post by UnderTheRain »

If you hold down shift and click restart you will boot into windows 10 recovery mode from there if you access troubleshooting (troubleshoot > advanced > startup settings) one of the menus there has an option for disabling the driver signing (your machine will reboot and when loaded the driver signing will be disabled), although you really need to trust the driver you're installing.

Thinking about it there are loads of command line options also if you google it you can do it from cmd or ps.

UTR
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

UnderTheRain wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:13 pm although you really need to trust the driver you're installing.
And trust all the other things that can now be installed on your system without driver signing.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

Take a look at bbauman's post, maybe that will help?
https://support.xilinx.com/s/question/0 ... uage=en_US
UnderTheRain

Post by UnderTheRain »

Maximilian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:06 pm
UnderTheRain wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:13 pm although you really need to trust the driver you're installing.
And trust all the other things that can now be installed on your system without driver signing.
I'm pretty sure once you reboot driver signing is re-enabled it's only for that session. If not just turn it back on once the driver is installed. You only need it for the installation.

UTR
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

It depends on the way you disable the check, and what kind of check you need to disable.

If it works by just manually installing the .inf this is absolutely preferable to disabling anything, even if it is for a moment.
mikro

Post by mikro »

I just mention it, if someone finds it the easier route: the package is still installable in many Linux distributions, for instance I was able to use the one in Arch Linux without too much hassle to flash SuperVidel / CT60 firmware.
UnderTheRain

Post by UnderTheRain »

The check you disable is 'driver signing' nothing more nothing less disabling ANYTHING else wont work (the clue's in the name)

If it works by just clicking the .inf then it's not driver signing. A lot of programmers (device not people) have drivers that aren't signed as long as you download them from the manufacturer then you're pretty safe.

And disabling driver signing is no more dangerous than blindly clicking on next next next when you install some junk you downloaded, just see what you're agreeing too next time you install something from Apple/Microsoft/Google.

Driver manufactures are far less likely to install crap on your machine than 90% of legit software companies who are sponsored to also install ......... They need their hardware to work with the minimum of support as easily as possible for you to go on an buy their products.

All driver signing means is that the company has paid a fee to Microsoft to be allowed to say they are signed. Microsoft have been selling the idea for years that it improves security (and it's not for profit) but any company that values their own reputation will protect you or their driver themselves.

UTR
UnderTheRain

Post by UnderTheRain »

Just as a side for this impact is not officially supported on windows 10 there's a new Dev environment that's about a 1.5gb download. Sometimes impact will install on windows 10 and someone's it won't and the official line is meh it's unsupported. Impact should be installed as part of another package I forget what is called but I have it backed up at work and can let you know if you need it.

Utr

Return to “ELECTRONICS”