ATARI STF Power Supply problem

Repairs & upgrades.
demonlg

Re: ATARI STF Power Supply problem

Post by demonlg »

Ok, this evening i lift all resistor and check one to one all other component.

Thanks at now
demonlg

Post by demonlg »

Ok, i have checked all component on the board, resistor and not electrolityc capacitor, all seems to be ok.

Then i have changed de 1uF 50v electrolityc capacitor but do not resolv. Then i have replaced the new 2200uF 50v (chinese marked) with a 4700Uf 16v ELNA, the last at the bottom right of board on the 12 volt rail.

Seem to be working now, but i have 5vcc con 5 volt rail, and 10,60 volt on 12 volt rail.

Is it possible the other 2200uF chinese marked capacitor not working perfect and the 12v output is dropped for this?

I have buyed a kit of capacitor on Amazon, but i don't have other problem in other repaired PSU.

Emanuel
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I really wouldn't buy parts from amazon / eBay etc as you never know what you're getting. They may not be rated for switchmode PSU usage. It could be why your PSU shuts down under heavier loads. Cheap capacitors can get very hot and even explode. You have to know what good capacitors are.

I said before many times over the years that even new branded caps can be worse than the 30 year old capacitors in the PSU. This is why I always suggest brands like Panasonic and only from good suppliers like mouser, alternatively you just buy a capacitor kit from the exxos shop. I researched and tested the capacitors sold for many years. I doubt anyone else has.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
demonlg

Post by demonlg »

Ok, very thanks for all our support. In future i will buy capacitor on electronic shop, is the first time i have encountered this problem.

Very Thanks

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”