Memory Chip Test Rig

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Memory Chip Test Rig

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Speaking to Exxos the other day about a RAM issue, he suggested I remove one chip from a working bank, and fit a socket so I could test a chip at a time.

Whilst it was a fantastic idea, removing the RAM chips from the socket was a pain and risked breaking pins on the chips, so I wondered how I could speed things up.

Thinking about how I might speed things up and reduce the risk of pin breakage, three words came to me: Zero Insertion Force!!

With that in mind, I ordered a 16 pin DIP ZIF socket, and when it arrived, I set about building a rig that would allow me to plugh the ZIF socket into the socket on the board, and quickly and easily insert and remove RAM chips for testing.

Aside from the ZIF socket, I used a small piece of Veroboard and some header strips, which I usually have lying around spare.

Here are some pics of my creation:
tester1.jpg
tester1.jpg (296.35 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
tester2.jpg
tester2.jpg (297.37 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
And here it is installed in the mainboard. Makes removal of RAM chips super easy, and testing is quick, safe and easy :)
tester3.jpg
tester3.jpg (392.24 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Memory Chip Test Rig

Post by exxos »

:dualthumbup: Geek points for you today!

Takes me like 10mins to get one chip into a socket, so a ZIF is a great idea!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Memory Chip Test Rig

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 pm :dualthumbup: Geek points for you today!

Takes me like 10mins to get one chip into a socket, so a ZIF is a great idea!
Ooooh, more geek points, ace :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “ELECTRONICS”