What shall I do with all this stuff?

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Steve

What shall I do with all this stuff?

Post by Steve » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:53 am

Hi all,

My industrial sized UPS finally kicked the bucket, and for various reasons I'll be replacing it with a new one. Just wondering if I should de-solder any of the parts on its main motherboard? Do they have any value for resale, like ebay? Or is there anything handy to keep for my own projects.

Thanks,

Steve
IMG_20180601_121846.jpg
IMG_20180601_121846.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 277 times

exxos
Site Admin

Re: What shall I do with all this stuff?

Post by exxos » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:21 am

Probably not worth much either way, but if your looking to sell, sell the lot as faulty.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Ah okay. I was just looking at those massive caps (the size of a can of coke) and thinking.. If I had to buy those I bet they'd cost me a lot lol. Same with those coils, they're the size of a golf ball.

Petari

Post by Petari » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:29 am

Here is something what I experimented - and is retro too in some way:
Too make classic fluorescent tubes working without stroboscope effect, so with constant emission, what is much better for eyes, and to avoid usage of not cheap suppression coils + starters I made simple circuit where biggest and only pricey parts are larger capacitors - which are there only to limit current - and it must go in line, not parallel. Capacity depends from power of tubes. Something between 8 and 30 microF is suitable . So, if there is something like on that board - you need only to add couple diodes and small capacity electrolyte caps ... :idea:
Considering those large electrolyte 'cans' - they are not cheap. And are for high voltage - maybe to build some switching PSU with 1000 W power - there will be lot of other components for - because UPS is it - switching PSU, upside down :lol:
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.