Flying Shark level corruption on both FlashFloppy and HxC

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

sandord

Re: Flying Shark level corruption on both FlashFloppy and HxC

Post by sandord » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Petari wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm
This image seems as not well made - for instance it asks to insert floppy B, while all is on 1 disk.

Try this: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/F/flyings.php

Second DL - ST file.
I haven't been able to try your image yet but I did try another one I found on the internet. It has the same "Insert disk 2" message while being a single disk. But, it doesn't have the corrupted level data. I don't think that the fact that the message is still there while not being necessary, means that the image is bad otherwise.

I'm still intrigued by the other one running fine in Steem SSE and not on Gotek.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:26 am

Of course that unnecessary disk change message must not mean that it is bad version, but surely is not good sign - those who released it like that did not put much effort - to be user friendly, and probably did not test it well.
Actually there are 2 versions of this game for Atari ST. Visible at title screen. What I used has Firebird logo at bottom, is on 2 SS floppies. And may be later version. That problematic one disked v. is likely just done by someone by putting all files on DS disk. What again must not mean that it is the cause of corruption. Game using TOS for all loads, no direct disk access, so basically should not act different with Gotek. I don't have time right now to go deeper in it.
There is one thing more to look: TOS version. What TOS v. is in your Atari, and what Atari model is it ? Should test in Steem SSE with same settings.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

sandord

Post by sandord » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 am

Petari wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:26 am
Of course that unnecessary disk change message must not mean that it is bad version, but surely is not good sign - those who released it like that did not put much effort - to be user friendly, and probably did not test it well.
Actually there are 2 versions of this game for Atari ST. Visible at title screen. What I used has Firebird logo at bottom, is on 2 SS floppies. And may be later version. That problematic one disked v. is likely just done by someone by putting all files on DS disk. What again must not mean that it is the cause of corruption. Game using TOS for all loads, no direct disk access, so basically should not act different with Gotek. I don't have time right now to go deeper in it.
There is one thing more to look: TOS version. What TOS v. is in your Atari, and what Atari model is it ? Should test in Steem SSE with same settings.
You're right, it isn't a good sign. Though like I said, the other version I tried had the same thing but not the corruption.

My ST is an 1040 STF with TOS 1.02. No upgrades besides the Gotek. I tested in Steam SSE with the same TOS, I'm not sure what memory settings I tried though. I might try again later, who knows it's something subtle like that ;-)

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:00 pm

I looked deeper in code. Floppy change and it's detection isn't done well. Now deactivated it completely. Added super cheat, with what can quickly pass levels. During it, once had screen corruption, in Steem. Never after corrections. So, may be that will be fine with Gotek too .
Same loc. for DL: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/F/flyings.php
Hard disk v. : http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/flyings.html
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

sandord

Post by sandord » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Petari wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:00 pm
I looked deeper in code. Floppy change and it's detection isn't done well. Now deactivated it completely. Added super cheat, with what can quickly pass levels. During it, once had screen corruption, in Steem. Never after corrections. So, may be that will be fine with Gotek too .
Same loc. for DL: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/F/flyings.php
Hard disk v. : http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/flyings.html
That's... astonishing! You've just made my favourite shoot-em-up even better :thanksyellow:
I'll try it out as soon as I get home :D

sandord

Post by sandord » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Did you increase the initial number of lives from 3 to 5? ;)

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:37 am

sandord wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 pm
Did you increase the initial number of lives from 3 to 5? ;)
No, that's what you get with 2 disk Firebird release. You may check with STX images if don't believe me :D
Beside it, why to change when have cheat options.

sandord

Post by sandord » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:50 am

Petari wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:37 am
No, that's what you get with 2 disk Firebird release. You may check with STX images if don't believe me :D
Beside it, why to change when have cheat options.
Don't worry, I believe you :D

In my opinion, even with 5 lives this game is hardly any more playable than with 1. As soon as you're half way the first level and you die, you lose your weapon upgrades and it becomes almost impossible to get much further.

So basically, this is a one hit and it's game over type of game.

Personally, I don't use any cheats because that kills all the fun. But it would have been practical for testing if the second level was corrupted :) It took quite some effort this way but at least I got a little better at playing this game!