Sad day: I'm having to "upgrade" from MiNT 1.12...

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

Steve

Re: Sad day: I'm having to "upgrade" from MiNT 1.12...

Post by Steve »

I'm glad people work on Mint, to be honest it is the main reason I still use and enjoy my old Atari machines.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

mikro wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:15 am You are right - I wasn't there. Actually I'm still not there ;), I'm just helping guys with some infrastructure.

If you would like to discuss ideas / features, maybe it's worth signing up in the new ML: https://sourceforge.net/p/freemint/mail ... t-discuss/

There isn't many people left and any help is more than welcome. :)
:-)

Do you know if the compiler tool chain etc. will run under MiNT natively? i.e. Can you develop on the real hardware still?

I know the few people who are keeping Linux m68k seem to be cross-compiling and then running on emulated hardware. The kernels that they're producing don't seem to work on a real Atari any more. At least the latest one I downloaded and tried couldn't drive the TT display even though the "atafb" device driver was supposedly compiled into the kernel.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
mikro

Post by mikro »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 pmDo you know if the compiler tool chain etc. will run under MiNT natively? i.e. Can you develop on the real hardware still?
Absolutely. gcc 7.x is quite slower than the ancient 2.95 but it does work.
I know the few people who are keeping Linux m68k seem to be cross-compiling and then running on emulated hardware. The kernels that they're producing don't seem to work on a real Atari any more. At least the latest one I downloaded and tried couldn't drive the TT display even though the "atafb" device driver was supposedly compiled into the kernel.
Not sure about TT but I know that not only the kernel but also X does run on the Falcon, even with CT60 and SuperVidel. I know a guy who has a pretty recent Debian up and running with some window manager.

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”