TOS after 32 years - what could be done better ?

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: TOS after 32 years - what could be done better ?

Post by Petari » Tue May 29, 2018 5:20 pm

In all recent talk about modding TOS 1.04-1.62 for accelerators, I felt need to check how Timer-C exactly is used in TOS 2.06 .
Man can learn every day something new. Earlier I thought that it is used by most of trap calls. But that was wrong. I made some tests, traces today and yes, all what using it is floppy access code.
So, I would add it to TOS flaw list too - only because floppy read they made it less compatible ? When it could be solved in other ways, without using something what some SW might want to use for own purpose (and there is lot of such).
Must add to it, that not only TOS 2.06, most of hard disk drivers using it, and that results in bad work when Timer-C is changed. Well, with brag mode on, I can say, that my driver SW suffers not from Timer-C hunger :D
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

arf

Post by arf » Tue May 29, 2018 9:48 pm

exxos wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 pm
A small thought... 020 CPU support in TOS104. As most know, forced to move to TOS206 to use the 020 CPU.
Or KAOS 1.42, which supports 020 & 030.
--
Against signature spam!

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Petari wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 am
TOS 1.62 mod for STE machines with CPU upgrade.
I just tried on real STE 010 CPU.. so far it seems to be working OK.. I only really have GB6 to test anything with though...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:26 pm

One think I just found.. even though I am not using a STE diagnostic cart.. the STE with 010 says "bad instruction fetch", but while it errors a lot with a normal 68000, the cart does work... on the 010, it basically dies..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Forget that diagnostic card - it is just not compatible with 68010 .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:11 am

Why hasn't anyone in the community made prebaked to chips for St and falcon with improved tos with patches? The thunderstorm TT team did this for the TT which they shipped with their products.

jvas

Post by jvas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am

Steve wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:11 am
Why hasn't anyone in the community made prebaked to chips for St and falcon with improved tos with patches? The thunderstorm TT team did this for the TT which they shipped with their products.
KAOS Tos is one example of this.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 am

Indeed, people behind KAOS TOS made same question what I made in this thread title, only that 28 years earlier :D
Patching TOS was always popular in some circles. And some sold programmed chips too, I guess most in Germany.

On the other side, I think that most of patches reflect personal needs of people behind it. There are some fixes for situations which happen never for most of users. For instance I never had that 'Out of internal memory' message - what happens when there is too much directory, going too deep in three ... My first TOS patch was mostly cosmetic, then I did some translations to Eastern EU languages, floppy format patch (just less wasted space) .

Interesting is that there are no patches which could fill plenty of free space in TOS 1.06/1.62 - some 55 KB .
Of course, there is factor that many people think that original is more reliable - and that may be true if patch is not tested well.

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 pm

jvas wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am
Steve wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:11 am
KAOS Tos is one example of this.
You're telling me they created eproms and sold them to the community to replace their default tos roms? Because that's the question I was asking.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Some asked very much for TOS 2.06 in 1992. I called some HW guy, and he asked about 100 DEM for it in 2 EPROMs. I just laughed - he said that it costs more in Germany - yes, the legal version, I said. He just copied it, nothing else. 1 week later I found it on one BBS, so got it free - sadly without EPROMs :lol: