Let's play cartoons on STE, TT, Falcon

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

Petari

Let's play cartoons on STE, TT, Falcon

Post by Petari » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 pm

After some time again dealing with 16 color mode AV playback on Ataris.
I spotted Pink Panther collection, and it looked as ideal for some not much HW demanding audio-video playback on our oldies.
Usually, hand drawn animated movies are at 12 fps real framerate most time, there is no many color, so just good for STE low res mode.
It plays on res 320x200 px, 12 fps, audio is 25033 Hz, mono - that's possible on STE, TT, Falcon . Actually, video works on ST too, and no audio, looks not so good (512 colors instead 4096) .
lavp3_panel.png
lavp3_panel.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
lavp3_ppww.png
lavp3_ppww.png (16.74 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Does not need some very fast mass storage - about 700 KB/sec rate will be enough for flawless playback. This player works well at 50 and 60 Hz screen refresh rates - so PAL, NTSC, RGB, VGA .
http://atari.8bitchip.info/LavCre/LAVP3.ZIP - 110 MB, includes 2 videos. Conversion to 16 colors is hardest part in preparation. One video is done with usual color reduction+dithering, other is done with posterize effect - and that looks best actually, since source is just not good - too noisy, some strange luminance gradient - right side of screen is always brighter than left. What made color reduction too flickering.
Will write about how to convert usual videos into format suitable for this player. How to make it looking good.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Petari

Re: Let's play cartoons on STE, TT, Falcon

Post by Petari » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 pm

YouTube links: https://youtu.be/a1u9wx832nM
https://youtu.be/2wJ4SJ2HiYU
Then, link to corrected Pink Phink video DL (mkv) http://www.mediafire.com/file/obeyz8te2 ... rected.mkv
50 MB (not for Atari). Removed nasty gradient over screen - left side is more pink, right more blue. And cleaned out noise.
What is available online is pretty much bad - noisy, jerky - I seen even framerate of 27 fps (WTF!) . I don't know why that color gradient - was it result of film degradation, getting some light or whatever. Oscar material - not a joke.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 pm

:bravo: That is really cool :thumbup:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

krupkaj

Post by krupkaj » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 pm

hey, that is really nice, just downloading :)

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am

Blackstar, Thundar the Barbarian, Dungeons and Dragons, there a lot of very
cool cartoons that would be super cool viewed on our Atari's! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Darklord wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am
Blackstar, Thundar the Barbarian, Dungeons and Dragons, there a lot of very
cool cartoons that would be super cool viewed on our Atari's! :)
I'm sure that they are great. As many other ones ... I will do one more Pink Panther episode - that one, where he wants to be superman is really hilarious.
Parallel with it, I will write guide how to perform conversion to format good for Atari. You will need some SW like Virtual Dub, Photoshop, AudaCity - most is freeware. SW for multiplexing audio with video (what is at that stage just bunch of BMP images in res. 320x200, 16 colors) will be there too.
In current stage, it is limited to max 10000 frames, what means 10000/12 seconds = 13 minutes . That will take some 340 MB space on disk.

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am

Petari wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm sure that they are great. As many other ones ... I will do one more Pink Panther episode - that one, where he wants to be superman is really hilarious.
Parallel with it, I will write guide how to perform conversion to format good for Atari. You will need some SW like Virtual Dub, Photoshop, AudaCity - most is freeware. SW for multiplexing audio with video (what is at that stage just bunch of BMP images in res. 320x200, 16 colors) will be there too.
In current stage, it is limited to max 10000 frames, what means 10000/12 seconds = 13 minutes . That will take some 340 MB space on disk.
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to the part about how to do it with sound (understood to be low quality) with an accelerated ST.

Thanks! :)

Petari

Post by Petari » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am

So, you want it on ST, STacy ? Accelerated one. But there is one problem: faster CPU will not help in this case. What is relevant is disk transfer speed. And that is not faster, of course, since DMA is not accelerated. By my experience, latency of some interrupt with 68030 is bigger than with 68000. And sample playback via PSG chip is all about interrupts. Maybe you noticed how faster is Prince of Persia with STE DMA audio - just because it plays mostly samples at relative high rate for PSG - and then it slows.
So, to make it work with audio somehow on some ST, samplerate should be really low, max some 4 KHz. Audio should be completely prepared, for minimal time spent on creating sound during frequent interrupts. That is interesting for coding, no doubt.
And don't remember less colors available. Actually, that posterized one should look not bad. Some multi color, with gradients, will be pretty much flickery and with rough color changes.
Will see about it later. At moment some TOS patching is in progress.

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am

Petari wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am
So, you want it on ST, STacy ? Accelerated one. But there is one problem: faster CPU will not help in this case. What is relevant is disk transfer speed. And that is not faster, of course, since DMA is not accelerated. By my experience, latency of some interrupt with 68030 is bigger than with 68000. And sample playback via PSG chip is all about interrupts. Maybe you noticed how faster is Prince of Persia with STE DMA audio - just because it plays mostly samples at relative high rate for PSG - and then it slows.
So, to make it work with audio somehow on some ST, samplerate should be really low, max some 4 KHz. Audio should be completely prepared, for minimal time spent on creating sound during frequent interrupts. That is interesting for coding, no doubt.
And don't remember less colors available. Actually, that posterized one should look not bad. Some multi color, with gradients, will be pretty much flickery and with rough color changes.
Will see about it later. At moment some TOS patching is in progress.
You bet I want video with sound on my 40 mhz 68030, 40mhz 68882 FPU, 32 bit TOS v3.06 equipped STacy
with an Ultrasatan (gonna exchange that for a CosmosEX one of these days)! :)

Thanks! :)

Petari

Post by Petari » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Darklord wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am
You bet I want video with sound on my 40 mhz 68030, 40mhz 68882 FPU, 32 bit TOS v3.06 equipped STacy
with an Ultrasatan (gonna exchange that for a CosmosEX one of these days)! :)
OK. But I need to know it it working now, as is, on your beast of Stacy :D Of course without sound.