TOS105 ROM

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

Petari

TOS105 ROM

Post by Petari » Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 pm

As my TOS enhancing is near to finish (I wrote in couple threads about improved FAT16 filesystem, Virtual Floppy) - need only to add some shorter code to Raw Image Access system (simple access from games, and other things), emergency rescue image support, and what will take little more time - to test it all well + some supporting utils.

All it took already months and hundreds of hours of work, so I really don't want to see that some sell programmed EPROMs with it on EBay or other ways. These features work best from TOS ROM, and doing it with some SW, what loads in RAM would decrease compatibility, and make usage harder. Some features are possible only with code in ROM. I planned it originally in cartridge, but this is better for sure, and I made space for it in TOS ROM (1.04 is where is no enough space without some optimizations) .

I already made some changes on my site, and there will be more, in purpose of propaganda. Will need some help here, I think.
Atariage forum seems as not good place, really. Don't get most of people there. Level of knowledge is really low, But they like to delete posts, when you recommend to go other forum, where can get better help :(
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

exxos
Site Admin

Re: TOS105 ROM

Post by exxos » Sun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Petari wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 pm
All it took already months and hundreds of hours of work, so I really don't want to see that some sell programmed EPROMs with it on EBay or other ways. These features work best from TOS ROM, and doing it with some SW, what loads in RAM would decrease compatibility, and make usage harder. Some features are possible only with code in ROM. I planned it originally in cartridge, but this is better for sure, and I made space for it in TOS ROM (1.04 is where is no enough space without some optimizations) .
I already made some changes on my site, and there will be more, in purpose of propaganda. Will need some help here, I think.
Atariage forum seems as not good place, really. Don't get most of people there. Level of knowledge is really low, But they like to delete posts, when you recommend to go other forum, where can get better help :(
If I can help in anyway then just let me know...

Indeed some people will copy the ROM's, but you can publicly announce here people buy the ROM's from you as it contains your work. If someone does sell ROM's on ebay, it soon be noticed and whoever will do it..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

troed

Post by troed » Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Petari wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 pm
All it took already months and hundreds of hours of work, so I really don't want to see that some sell programmed EPROMs with it on EBay or other ways. These features work best from TOS ROM, and doing it with some SW, what loads in RAM would decrease compatibility, and make usage harder. Some features are possible only with code in ROM.
Charge a license fee? I.e, allow others to burn but they'll have to send money to you. Just distribute your changes as a binary patch and you''re even legally clear regarding copyright ...

That way you'll have to spend less time burning EPROMs and visiting the post office yourself.

(I could do the Swedish market for example)

Petari

Post by Petari » Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm

troed wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Charge a license fee? I.e, allow others to burn but they'll have to send money to you. Just distribute your changes as a binary patch and you''re even legally clear regarding copyright ...
That way you'll have to spend less time burning EPROMs and visiting the post office yourself.
(I could do the Swedish market for example)
There will be certainly no so big demand for it, that burning EPROMs (little slower), or better Flash EPROMs (5-10x faster) will be problem.
Copyright for something modded without permission of holder (which probably still exists, although total uninterested) may be problematic, if not nonsense. And of course, those who want to sell it will not care at all. There are nice girls, ladies at post office, so that will be no problem :D
It can't be btw. binary patch, because complete GEMDOS part (some 90KB) is reassembled, with optimizations, so is shorter some 4KB, despite added some new things and better FAT16. I could only distribute whole section - and that consists from 2 parts actually - there is part after AES, what holds mostly character sets. And there are some added things like subrutines for virtual floppy, and they need some smaller additions in early TOS stage.
But thanx for your help.
Surely will not deal with it for long time - at one point it can become PD. May need some updates in beginning, though.
Just got an idea: combining GEMDOS part with Swedish (or of course any other language) AES, Desktop will result in not offering only UK versions :idea:
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Petari

Post by Petari » Mon May 28, 2018 9:55 am

I made WEB page with overview of features, versions, expected availability ...
http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimpr.html

Questions here, in e-mail ...

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Mon May 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Petari wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:55 am
I made WEB page with overview of features, versions, expected availability ...
http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimpr.html

Questions here, in e-mail ...
Wow! That's awesome. I didn't even know.
Petari wrote: 1.56 - TOS 1.04 with Desktop of 2.06 . May be with (1) too and other changes. For ST, Mega ST (needs extra ROM logic), Mega STE .
Does this mean that only Mega ST needs extra ROM logic? If both ST and MST, I though 1.04 + 2.06 desktop didn't need additional logic?

Either way, I would like to licence the ROMs if this turns out to be a hit, and I'm sure it will. I have tons of 27010 chips so don't really want to buy a physical version. Is this something you would consider? Thanks.

Petari

Post by Petari » Mon May 28, 2018 1:02 pm

I will correct that , for & . Extra logic stays for ST and Mega ST , of course, because TOS address is different in them than in STE, Mega STE, so TOS 2.06 can not work without it. And it is not only different address, but larger space (256 instead 192 KB) - what is not possible when ROM starts at $FC0000 .
I can send images, but really would not like to see it on E-bay, as it was case with hard disk driver SW. And I need to spend yet lot of time with supporting SW, mostly for Virtual Floppy, then new version of partitioning SW + corrected driver SW .
P.S. 27010 is cool, but 27040 or 29F040 are much cooler :D

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue May 29, 2018 9:28 am

Hiya,

this is really awesome!

I would like to test out these when they are ready. Since I use Exxos' STE Booster and DualTOS-Board, I would probably need images... which brings me to the question, whether the DualTOS-Board could be modded to a quadruple or more TOS-board?
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 am

OK. I was talking little with exxos about that there are accelerators with 68020/30 for STE around . So, maybe I need to put together TOS mod for it. At moment I have only 1.04 with long stackframe support. But ... isn't it already in 1.06/1.62 - because I seen there some code indicating 68010 support.
So, first question: does STE booster works with TOS 1.62, or only with 2.06 ? If works not, then I need to go in modding 1.62 in same way as 1.04 - they are pretty much same, so will be not hard, I expect.

Considering possibility for quad TOS version board - what I do is based on (Flash)EPROMs with 4Mbit capacity - like 27004 or 29F004 . 2 of them makes 1 MB, so place for 4 TOS versions. They fit directly in STE or Mega STE, only need to bend 2 highest address lines, and connect there switcher.
I guess exxos can say more for rest of the question. With 8 Mbit EPROMs could do 8 TOS versions, and that would be max, what fits in 32 pin packages.
Question is can my EPROM programmer program them :D

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 am

Petari wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 am
OK. I was talking little with exxos about that there are accelerators with 68020/30 for STE around . So, maybe I need to put together TOS mod for it. At moment I have only 1.04 with long stackframe support. But ... isn't it already in 1.06/1.62 - because I seen there some code indicating 68010 support.
So, first question: does STE booster works with TOS 1.62, or only with 2.06 ?
The Exxos STE booster I use is based on 68HC000 and I can confirm it works fine with TOS 1.62.
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry