TOS105 ROM

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

Atarian Computing

Re: TOS105 ROM

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed May 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Petari wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:47 pm
Got suggestion to add TOS v. displaying in Desktop Info dialog. Did little more:
https://youtu.be/Fk97rmaspwU
Here is it - can try on real HW or in emulator:
14UKV1.ZIP
:thanksblue:

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Here are 2 YT videos where can see what new is in - considering boot flow and added memory usage values in Desktop Info.

https://youtu.be/r3SSagYt-ec

https://youtu.be/SlumPA1967g

Second one is with running game starting from AUTO folder.
This should be final updates (well, logo must be not red :) ) .

Some explanations for shown memory related info: Free RAM is actually size of largest free memory block - in normal case there is only 1 block, so that's really all Free RAM - for some PRG .

Membot may be very useful info for case when there is some resident SW like ACC, some driver - then it is (much) higher, and that not just lowers free RAM, but can prevent some SW to run properly - mostly games coded to run in lower RAM area,

And if you start some SW, then exit it, you may see that after every run free RAM is less by 14 bytes, while Membot goes higher for 14 bytes. That's because not really proper done RAM freeing of TOS. But not much, really. I guess that nobody will start SW 1000 times without resetting machine in meantime .
Memory handling is little messy - TOS adds some 13 KB for AES when running PRG or APP. No such for running TOS (what uses not AES) . And adds some PATH= ... txt in length of 14 bytes before every basepage - which is not freed when exiting PRG/TOS - that's the reason for mentioned 14 byte more RAM used by TOS after every SW run. It may be just some remain in C source from CPM or whatever ... Really useless, but removing it is not simple, because there are many things happening when starting some SW. So, it will stay as is.
14UKV3D.ZIP
(105.74 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Image for ST (modded TOS 1.04) - if no EPROM programmer or time, can test in emulators .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am

That looks super cool! Will do a ROM for my STFM soon! Was 105 the one with the updated desktop also ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:02 pm

I plan to put this updated Desktop in all versions. And boot progress indicators too. This is actually not real 1.05 - just demonstration/test version how it looks. People may see better how TOS handles RAM allocations.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:26 pm

2 videos of how boot sequence will look - probably final version.

https://youtu.be/QK-RNN1Uo0c

https://youtu.be/Dospr7v6TDM

Can change refresh rate in color mode, invert black and white colors, prevent AUTO run.
ExtBootMono.png
ExtBootMono.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 403 times

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:33 am

I have a question Petari,

You know the Desktop -> Preferences dialog, where you switch between "Low" and "Medium" resolutions - is there any chance to have all three resolutions enabled at all times so that people who use a 50/71Hz-compatible monitor can access all the modes?

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:46 am

At my best knowledge, those switches work so, that in mono mode connect mono sensor line of Atari's video connector to GND, and in color modes disconnect. And there is code of TOS, in Vblank routine, so activated 50x /sec what checks that line. If changes it triggers reset.
People can access all modes - by switching between color and mono mode at those switches on cable/connector.
Things can be solved, but most of it is in GEMDOS part to do. Need to remove that mono sensor poll code and related. And some correction in AES, of course.
I need to know how is your compatible monitor connected to Atari. Is there some mono mode switch ?

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:08 pm

I use some wires that I have attached to the 68901 IO controller, hanging out the side. Best current option is to plug in a board to the monitor socket and switch the pin to ground that way (but those DIN-14 plugs are expensive).

Ultimately that pin in the monitor socket is just a piece of information and TOS does the switching, but that dialog is stuck in the past where only special, expensive monitors could possibly display a 640x400 picture. Now it's the opposite problem: it's nearly impossible to get a monitor slow enough for the colour modes.

Actually, as a side-note, there are actually 2 settings there: the frame rate and the resolution. Under software control, I don't think there's any reason why 71.2Hz low and medium res couldn't be generated if TOS supported it, and then you could probably run colour modes on a VGA monitor.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Theoretically it is possible to run color modes at 71 Hz. But I don't think that Glue, which generates sync pulses will be able to do it. Plus MMU, what addressing the RAM for video generation.
Pixel freq. self is pretty much dictated by main clock - so it is 8 MHz for low, 16 for medium and 32 MHz for mono. Border is smallest in mono modes.
Color modes at 71 Hz will need much smaller borders too, what is not bad, of course. Things are that it is simply not hardcoded in ST chipset.

And maybe even more important: with that change, you will break big part of SW, what is made to work at 50 and/or 60 Hz refresh rate.
It would be good for eyes - ergonomic refresh rate, and actually ST's main concept allows it - RAM is fast enough for it . So, maybe task for exxos, when designing new MMU chip - although, I said him that it will be not enough - new Glue will be needed too. And shifter chip, I guess.

More than 2 things is involved: frame rate, resolution. Timings. We can raise resolution with overscan techniques - SW and HW . But forcing it to 71 Hz in color mode is something not in chip designs . Maybe if could fool shifter that generate color video while is in mono mode ... That would mean less border, and repeating every line 2x . So, MMU needs to be fooled too.

troed
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by troed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:51 pm

The GEM resources are different between mono and low/medium - the reset is really only there for re-reading of those I think.

A modern VGA adapter like the ubeswitch does the switching from RGB pins to mono pins dynamically, no switch needed. It would be great to have those three buttons enabled in the Desktop even if it would cause a reset (easy solution) and maybe in the future without reset (re-reading resources and redoing initialization).

The actual resolutions and their timings would not change (as Petari says, GLUE mandates those and it's not possible to work around without replacing GLUE). The best option is to use a screen that handles them all (I use Dell 2001FP and Nec 1990FXp).