Ideas to create other languages versions of updated TOS

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

IngoQ

Re: Ideas to create other languages versions of updated TOS

Post by IngoQ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 pm

What do you think of this one for 1.04:
test.png
test.png (1.04 KiB) Viewed 89 times
And this one for 1.62+:
test2.png
test2.png (990 Bytes) Viewed 89 times
It's a little different, but still original...
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Got it: http://turricanblog.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... iller.html
Some other good photos there too ...
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:03 pm

This is max what I can go close to original:
al13s.png
al13s.png (618 Bytes) Viewed 78 times
And this is still little too high res and too long file.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Petari wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:03 pm
This is max what I can go close to original: al13s.png
Why? I mean, sure: your patch, your rules. But wouldn't a simple text like "patched by Petari" be sufficient? Or if you want something more visual, maybe invert the screen, to have white text on black background?
Petari wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:03 pm
And this is still little too high res and too long file.
I have the original logo here as a vector file and could render it in any resolution you need.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:32 pm

OK, the details, please: not just patch. Actually, with FAT16 improving I did what Atari programmers managed to drag until company bankrupted. That was 2 months of work. With sources could be much less. Virtual Floppy will be about same time when is done completely.
I don't want to push my name, especially not right after start. Just want to accent that this is TOS with many changes. But still TOS, and not some completely rewritten as MagiC or EmuTOS. That would need some 5 man/year work, I guess. And whatfor in 2018 ?
Rule or not, logo can be changed with little time invested. Really should not make so big deal of it. I'm ready to put logo, whatever buyer wants - only criteria is used ROM space, and usual norms considering content.

I have my paint SW for this - resizing to any res. is there, of course (what you think how I resized ?). Much more interesting are effect filters :D

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Petari wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:32 pm
OK, the details, please: not just patch. Actually, with FAT16 improving I did what Atari programmers managed to drag until company bankrupted. That was 2 months of work. With sources could be much less. Virtual Floppy will be about same time when is done completely.
I did not indend to diminish you efforts in any way, don't get me wrong. Technically it is a patch, regardless how much work you put in it, that's why I chose these words. But "Enhanced TOS" might be a better choice, at least in my example :)

Given the choice on ordering, I would prefer the original logo, or an improved one, maybe bigger.

And while we are at slaughtering holy cows :-P: I never liked the black text on white screen thing... could this be changed easily for white (or grey) text on black background? I know this looks like DOS....

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I think that word patch is overused. It is with games updated for hard disk run - in some cases there are patches, for sure, but in my case most of it is on special TOS in RAM environment - that's used in some 65 % of games, since that's percentage of games using TOS calls. Klapauzius used something similar, only that he had not complete TOS GEMDOS part for it, only most used functions. And even for SW not using TOS calls, there is HAGA, what does big part of work, and is basically a library for most common tasks.

Patch means basically fixing something broken, something not working as expected. Is adding code what performs things what are not intended in original SW patch ? I don't think so. Words: improved, enhanced describe it better. Or just something like: added features. Yes, term patch is common considering TOS improvements too. And I guess that most of it was intended to fix some bugs. KAOS TOS is indeed more - it is optimized code, some visual changes, some bugfixes. And I really don't know what else more .
FAT16 in this is what could be called patch, indeed. But changing over 250 locations in hardly followable C generated machine code to call patch ? What cloth can have so many patches :D Virtual Floppy is what is not patch at all. That's whole new functionality.

Considering black background and white text: I guess now Steve Jobs spins in his grave :D What about just using simple SW to swap black and white in palette ? Of course, it can be default color for someone ... I need to check it out in Steem Debugger ... If I get some headache because of that, then will rather just watch football next 3 days instead dealing with TOS :lol:

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:17 pm

invbw.png
invbw.png (12.01 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Must admit that looks not that bad. I'm too afraid from darkness, it seems :D
I can add color swap at same pos. where option to change refresh rate is - right after logo is displayed. Key S for instance will swap B and W .
Possible of course with very short proggie in AUTO folder, or in bootsector of floppy too.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Petari wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm
Considering black background and white text: I guess now Steve Jobs spins in his grave :D What about just using simple SW to swap black and white in palette ? Of course, it can be default color for someone ... I need to check it out in Steem Debugger ... If I get some headache because of that, then will rather just watch football next 3 days instead dealing with TOS :lol:
Steve Jobs apparently had no idea about eyestrain and macular degeneration because of blue light intensity ;)

But this is only a matter of personal taste, and only regards the bootscreen. I just like the idea of a white Atari Logo on black background, that's all :) And maybe others do as well, that's why I proposed it :)

And yes, this is definitely not worth putting much effort in it. But if its only a couple of bytes...
STboot-inverted.png
STboot-inverted.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 66 times

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Petari wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:17 pm
invbw.png
Must admit that looks not that bad. I'm too afraid from darkness, it seems :D
Oh okay, you inverted it permanently... True, this does not look too bad, although this is a lot more than I intended ;) Since this potentially screws up some apps, a small tool in the auto folder would probably safer... I really was just talking about the boot screen ;)