Adrian's Digital Basement

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
DoG

Re: Adrian's Digital Basement

Post by DoG »

Yeah, I know it's the smd cans. I don't think Adrian twist the tht caps. I get it that it will be easier to fit the solder iron tip. But you manage to solder in the new caps right? It will be tight then as well?

But everyone do what they want with their own equipment. If it works for you, do it. I can only hope it's not going to be a standard procedure among retro entusiasts. Maybe someone will twist the black plastic bit after seeing someone else doing the twist technic and rip of some pads. :D
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

DoG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm Yeah, I know it's the smd cans. I don't think Adrian twist the tht caps. I get it that it will be easier to fit the solder iron tip. But you manage to solder in the new caps right? It will be tight then as well?

But everyone do what they want with their own equipment. If it works for you, do it. I can only hope it's not going to be a standard procedure among retro entusiasts. Maybe someone will twist the black plastic bit after seeing someone else doing the twist technic and rip of some pads. :D
Don't know what it is about those SMD trash cans, but they are really fragile where the can meets the plastic.

But you're right, it's a personal thing and I always watch what is happening on the board anyway to be sure I'm not causing any damage. Where it fails is where people dive in without understanding it, but they are the same folks who tend to lift pads by using soldering irons that are too hot.

As for my A1200 it was a total sod soldering in some of the more cramped locations because of the can on top of the capacitor!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
tzok

Post by tzok »

DoG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:00 pm You still need to desolder the legs that's left behind so why twist it in the first place?
You have good access to the whole area of the pad (most of the "leg" and pad is under the capacitor's can), so you can easily clean the residues of leaked electrolyte, scrape off or chemically dissolve the oxidized layer of solder, and one by one desolder the "legs".
DoG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm But you manage to solder in the new caps right? It will be tight then as well?
Soldering a new capacitor to the cleaned pads is not a problem. If it is a really tight space you may consider using a MLCC capacitor instead (if you know that it can be safely used there).

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”