You have got to be kidding me - c64 on ebay

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
PeteW

You have got to be kidding me - c64 on ebay

Post by PeteW » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 pm

20 quid for a machine that looks like it's been run over?!

In fairness to the seller, he started bidding at 99p, but those bidding need to get a grip!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2696304180

Forgottenmyname
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: You have got to be kidding me - c64 on ebay

Post by Forgottenmyname » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Ran over but a 1 of a kind, with that tasteful splash of green whateveritis.

Think I'll pass lol

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Before I was banned from ebay, I pretty much gave up bidding on stuff. I would set a max price I would pay for something, and people would double that price easily. It was like paying £100 for a broken STE kinda thing, I mean £50 for a working one would be fair.. but it just went stupid on bidding on items. Think its a cross of , everyone's nuts and shill bidding. Plus the lack of people selling of late is pushing prices up... Back in the day, I was paying £5 for a working STFM, fast forward a few years £50+ now for basically junk.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:25 am

I'm gonna advertise one of my old computers with some skidded poo stained pants on top to see how much money I get, it might increase the value.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:55 am

I think that reason for raising prices is need for components - custom chips in first place. That C64 was probably taken out from trash somewhere, but some chips may be OK. Of course if seller did not take them out already :lol:
I remember that was not easy to find C64 chips back in 80-es, when it was in massive usage. Now - surely much much harder.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 am

Wow, that got out of hand quickly!
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

DrF

Post by DrF » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

I bet the buyer starts a "not as described" dispute too :lol:

zack4mac

Post by zack4mac » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm

What do people imagine when they look at that little C64? That machine deserves better, I can save that machine, I'm up for a challenge, My god that machine as been floating out at sea and washed up on the beech it must be special?

Whatever the reason i'm not sure I used to like using ebay but it's hard to find that bargain! everything seems over inflated. This I notice sometime back with CBM pet and now the classic and hard to come by C64 and lets not forget the audiophile version of the Sony PS1 with its superior CD sound quality, or save my little computer? all of which quite rightly command greater value :?

But if you want a real laugh then search toilet roll tubes on ebay and if you want to know why? just google 11 surprising uses for old loo roll tubes

Incidentally I bought a few commodore pets in the 90's for a £1 each at my local auction + £1 for dual drive, (I bought 5 and was ordered to throw them away by my dad, my mother said they took too much room up in the lounge, if only she knew that I could have paid for a round trip to the USA with the profits I would have made on ebay! :lol:
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt
"Bertrand Russell" :?

DrF

Post by DrF » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm

zack4mac wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm
Incidentally I bought a few commodore pets in the 90's for a £1 each at my local auction + £1 for dual drive, (I bought 5 and was ordered to throw them away by my dad, my mother said they took too much room up in the lounge, if only she knew that I could have paid for a round trip to the USA with the profits I would have made on ebay! :lol:
Happens a lot i threw out well over 100 IBM Type M keyboards and boxes and boxes of spare key caps, leads, stands all sorts for them, down the rubbish shoot 14 floors to a boom, now look at them :lol:

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:21 pm

zack4mac wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm
and lets not forget the audiophile version of the Sony PS1 with its superior CD sound quality... all of which quite rightly command greater value :?
No such thing as superior sounding psx. Just another audiophile myth.

Speaking of thrown away expensive stuff, today I saw at the dump a NOS 80s Peugeot race bike. Shimano 600 gears, truly sparkling, no sign of ever been used. Before I gave the chance to get it in the car, my friend "helpfully" tells the workers I want it... who then make sure to tell us thieves will be prosecuted, invisible CCTV cameras, blah blah...

So 150 euros goes to heaven. I am annoyed.