My next challenge: Memotech MTX500.

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
stephen_usher

Re: My next challenge: Memotech MTX500.

Post by stephen_usher »

I found a hack to allow 4164 RAM chips to replace 4116 RAM and replaced the faulty VRAM chip and, success!
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1459.jpg (170.4 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
I now just have to wait for a replacement 74LS273 as the dead flip-flop stops part of the keyboard scan from working. Then I've got to see if I can stop a lot of the keys on the keyboard from "chattering". Douse the whole lot in switch contact cleaner? Probably.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Well done Stephen. Very happy to see you bought it back to life.
Must get myself one at some point.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

PhilC wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:47 am Well done Stephen. Very happy to see you bought it back to life.
Must get myself one at some point.
As with most things, they're going for silly money on eBay, and there's no guarantee that they even work!
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

P.S. It's so nice to have this working again after 31 years!

Here's the same machine back in 1985. :-)
img002.jpg
img002.jpg (171.28 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, it seems that it wasn't completely fixed, merely 90% there.

As long as a program didn't try to use the upper 16K of RAM, which pages in over the 2nd 16K block, everything works fine. Try to use the memory paging and let's say that you have an undefined result.

When the machine is first switched on from cold it's fine for about the first minute and then things go wrong.

The problem is that every chip in the main memory and ROM access (including all the page switching logic) has been swapped out and replaced by brand new components and the issue still exists.

The 'scope seems to show a stable +5V rail, but there is evidence that the TIP2955 has failed (hot wire wound resistor) so all of the +5V line is being supplied by the regulator, which isn't supposed to be able give the full 0.9A required, merely 500mA. It has been suggested that this *may* be the issue.

Does anyone here have any thoughts?

(If you want to look at the circuit diagrams they're here: http://primrosebank.net/computers/mtx/d ... hPages.pdf)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Odd things like that I would see first whats getting warm on the thing.. and try freezer spray on anything which is getting warm and see if that increase your "run time" anything.

Though of course bad caps can be a issue.. but like I found on the ST.. there could just be design issues from day 1 which never cause a issue until recent years. Such things are 10K pull pull-ups, you may need to swap them out for 4.7K's for example.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

exxos wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm Odd things like that I would see first whats getting warm on the thing.. and try freezer spray on anything which is getting warm and see if that increase your "run time" anything.
That was the first thing I tried. Cooling one of the chips seemed to make a little difference, swapped it for another brand new chip and there was no difference.
Though of course bad caps can be a issue.. but like I found on the ST.. there could just be design issues from day 1 which never cause a issue until recent years. Such things are 10K pull pull-ups, you may need to swap them out for 4.7K's for example.
There are very few electrolytics in the design, they're mainly ceramics and poly, and none of those look to be on the data or address buses. There are no pull-up resistors either. Everything's driven either by the memory (via buffers and multiplexers) or Z80. Without anything driving them the address lines and data lines float to around 2V.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 pm Without anything driving them the address lines and data lines float to around 2V.
There is some 10K pull ups on the diagram.. but nothing should float even if nothing is using those lines.. Assuming the Z80 tristates and switching to 0V ( like the 68000 does) those should have pull ups on address and databus. Otherwise its depending on the LS chips floating to 5V to drive a logic HI.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I could only see the pull-ups for the keyboard lines.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I'm not familiar with the thing at all, Just spotted 10K on some chip and thought I mention about pullups causing issues, but doesn't seem to be any much anywhere on the thing.

Is there any proper RAM test software to see what faults are actually appearing and where in RAM ?

That TMS chip seems to be linked to RAM, so I guess like you mentioned, it could be faulty if you changed everything else..

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”