BBC Model B No2. Will it live again!

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BBC Model B No2. Will it live again!

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:04 pm Sounds like a remote mounted volume control mod. Some people mount a pot at the back of the machine. If the pot is missing then you will get no audio... if CAPS LOCK doesn't work then it is probably "long beep"ing but you just can't hear it (catch all term for not passing the POST).
I've read of them, but definitely missing here. Not sure if caps lock is working or not as the machine is also missing the KBD LEDs, so I'm working on a replacement.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

*MOTOR 1
*MOTOR 0
will click the tape motor relay on and off if you blind type that.... I imagine if bits have been cut off then it wasn't booting for the previous owner though!

THe good news is they are generally easy to repair.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

New pot ordered, specs from schematic.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:17 pm *MOTOR 1
*MOTOR 0
will click the tape motor relay on and off if you blind type that.... I imagine if bits have been cut off then it wasn't booting for the previous owner though!

It's odd, the KBD is a bit bodged and the LEDs were removed and sockets fitted. Not nice sockets either, crappy ones. I will try your cassette suggestion, thanks.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ok, so things I've ascertained so far:

The PSU is delivering about what it should.

The speaker is disconnected, so it isn't going to be doing any boo bipping until I can fix that.

The reason for that disconnection is because VR1, a variable resistor package is missing from the board. Gone. It looks like somebody added wires to make it an easier proposition to adjust the voltage. All that remains of those are about 2mm of each snipped off close to the board.

So, replacement is on the way, and I have a new supply of IPA now so will start to clean up the mainboard a bit. At least I have some more documentation now, which is helping me get going.

Baby steps.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Woo hoo, my replacement VR1 just arrived!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

:dualthumbup: :cheer: :yay:
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:17 pm *MOTOR 1
*MOTOR 0

@cmorley This did precisely nothing, and I hooked up the composite to the comp input on my TV, and just blackness.

VR1 is replaced and I can hear a slight hiss from the speaker which gets louder/quieter when VR1 is turned, so I am confident that works at least. The other thing that is worrying is that the caps lock LED I fitted comes on, and stays on regardless.

The voltages still strike me as low at about 4.7v-4.8v, -5v is bang on though. The other thing driving me mad is that I'd like to go and test the voltages at all chips. But the schematics don't seem to show VCC and GND for everything, which is where the ST schematics seem to be better.

I can certainly go and get all the necessary datasheets but I'd rather refer to the schematic than a pile of different datasheets, it's just a bit quicker when you're trying to do lots of chips.

Do you know of a good source for datasheets that show all pin connections on the chips?

I also need to ID the jumpers (Sooooo many jumpers) so I'll look through the service manual tonight, and maybe try removing the ULA as @JezC suggested now that I have a video cable.

Definitely missing my LA and oscilloscope at this point as they are in storage, but hey, more of a challenge without!!
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

If a B doesn't boot then you should get the low drone from the sound chip AKA "long beep". If you don't get that then there is either something wrong with the sound chip/amp or perhaps you are missing clocks - they all come from the ULA derived from the 16MHz crystal circuit. Power, clocks & reset (there are two /RST & /RSTA)... common faults are dead DRAM, IC14, 6522s and 6502. There's a sticky topic for the common faults on the stardot forum in 8-bit hardware.

I don't know of any schematic which shows the power and ground on the ICs.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:20 pm If a B doesn't boot then you should get the low drone from the sound chip AKA "long beep". If you don't get that then there is either something wrong with the sound chip/amp or perhaps you are missing clocks - they all come from the ULA derived from the 16MHz crystal circuit. Power, clocks & reset (there are two /RST & /RSTA)... common faults are dead DRAM, IC14, 6522s and 6502. There's a sticky topic for the common faults on the stardot forum in 8-bit hardware.

I don't know of any schematic which shows the power and ground on the ICs.
I've just downloaded a troubleshooting guide which actually describes my problem exactly. Blank screen, no sound from speaker and caps lock LED is lit. I'll have a go at the process indicated there, see how I get on.

Most if not all of my ST schematics show GND & VCC soI was hoping the Beeb ones would be the same, but apparently not.

Checking for clocks is going to be tough right now as I have no scope due to most of my workshop stuff being in storage, so limited to a very basic mutimeter. If it's nothing simple then it may have to wait until I get moved in properly.

For now I guess it's keeping me busy :)

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”