C64 disk drive emulator. Which one?

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
mrbombermillzy

Re: C64 disk drive emulator. Which one?

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Its about compatibility with demos/custom loaders thats the main issue. I think Krills loader (which lots of demos use) wont work with SD2IEC.

The Pi1541 seems to be more compatible, but IIRC still not 100%.

Not sure about compatibility on the more expensive ones (U1541, etc).
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Thanks @tin looks pretty awesome :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

I've got an Ultimate II+ here and it's absolutely brilliant.

I use it with a licensed copy of jiffydos and being able to quickly disable the drive rom in the UII+ is great - although pretty much every D64 I've tried is compatible with it in the drive rom, just have to swap the c64 itself to stock kernel every now and then.

I think this is the biggest point to make, because the UII+ is cycle compatible, D64's load at _orginal_ 1541 speed, so you have to use a fastloader to speed things up. PRG & T64's load pretty much instantaneously because the cartridge writes them directly into memory.

Another thing to bear in mind is to keep a good folder structure on the USB stick you're using for your D64's - it can take a long time to load the contents of the USB if you have a huge number of files, and it does this _every_ time.

I also use a quad rom switcher that I built for my c64 so I can quickly cycle physical roms using the restore key. Right now I have Stock, Jiffydos, JiffyDolphin, & Dolphin Dos burned in that rom - I find it faster to cycle the physical rom than use the UII+ kernel switcher so it's a good compromise.

I have a real 1541 on loan, and should be receiving one that I won on ebay today. I'll probably whack up a little post on refurbishing that drive, installing a jiffydos rom, adding a device ID switch, & installing dolphin dos (parallel dos - it's lightning fast), and how to get the best compatibility with software.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks for the info @BennehBoy I got one of the Kung Fu carts and it works well enough for me to get my C64 fix.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”