2600 software programmers ?

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
walter_j64bit

Re: 2600 software programmers ?

Post by walter_j64bit »

Good luck! 8-)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Seems a bit of a problem actually.. he basically saying he got a "cease and desist letter" from Atari to stop selling the cart about 10 years ago...

That maybe so, though what about all the carts others are doing ? Some are SD & USB so they can get around "supplying copyrite games" .. More so, if Atari are claiming IP on 2600 games, why hasn't the ROM sites got sued over it all ?

I know games like donkey kong, maybe pac-man are still IP.. nintendo.. maybe others.. could understand those.. but this issue seems to go a lot deeper than that :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
walter_j64bit

Post by walter_j64bit »

I take it he's not going to help out. :(
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

walter_j64bit wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:23 pm I take it he's not going to help out. :(
Likely not - Don't blame the guy really though. I can still build the cart, just not going to include any games as there has been that flashback console shipping with games.. so think 2600 games is a bit of a high risk to get involved with.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
DrF

Post by DrF »

Seems a bit of a problem actually.. he basically saying he got a "cease and desist letter" from Atari to stop selling the cart about 10 years ago...
That really is mind blowing... :shock:
That maybe so, though what about all the carts others are doing ? Some are SD & USB so they can get around "supplying copyrite games" .. More so, if Atari are claiming IP on 2600 games, why hasn't the ROM sites got sued over it all ?
I think a reason the other carts maybe getting away with it in my crappy understanding is that Atari allowed unlicensed carts to be made way back, so essentially there making blank unlicensed carts that don't contain any copyright code/games?
Maybe the situation is different over with Sega/Nintendo as I remember all the legal battles about having to have a license to make those carts.
Maybe Atari Dug there own hole there and cant Dig it :p
walter_j64bit

Post by walter_j64bit »

DrF wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am
That really is mind blowing... :shock:
I think a reason the other carts maybe getting away with it in my crappy understanding is that Atari allowed unlicensed carts to be made way back, so essentially there making blank unlicensed carts that don't contain any copyright code/games?
Maybe the situation is different over with Sega/Nintendo as I remember all the legal battles about having to have a license to make those carts.
Maybe Atari Dug there own hole there and cant Dig it :p
You might be right, I think to play it safe just use public domain games or games from dead companies and "maybe home brew games with permission from the author."
DrF

Post by DrF »

walter_j64bit wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 am from dead companies
I've seen that blow up in someone's face too, when most these companies die someone, somewhere, somehow manages to buy up the rights or end up with the rights to games usually a creditor or someone who has no idea what to do with it. There was a incident a few years back which involved someone ending up with a game by a auction of assets of a quite big games publisher who had owned it, they found out the ROM was being used in MAME and went on a spree threatening to sue everyone and everything.

It caused quite a issue at the time on classic game forums, I will see if I can find it.

Or we could go with plan 2... move to China do it anyhow who cares :lol:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

DrF wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:55 pm Or we could go with plan 2... move to China do it anyhow who cares :lol:
:thumbup:

I think I will do a pcb and just leave it at that.

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”