MagiC ROM for DFB1

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

Badwolf

MagiC ROM for DFB1

Post by Badwolf »

With not much time to work on hardware recently, I've been dabbling with a bit of software hackery in my lunchtimes.

Probably my favourite OS back in the day was MagiC. It was multitasking, it was fast, it was light. It was also recently (well, 6 years ago -- recently in the grand scheme of things) open-sourced and Thorsten has put a lot of effort into making sure it's complete and buildable.

So let's build a ROM version for DFB1!

https://github.com/dh219/MagicMac/tree/romwork

First things first, the ROM conversion tools don't really work for the Falcon and the direct ROM build doesn't boot properly from cold (although it will boot up if you boot into TOS with flash disabled, enable the jumper and then wam reset), so I need to do some proper hardware initialisation.

This isn't quite compete yet, but it'll now boot from cold (warm still needs work) and load its drivers and wotnot from drive c: if you've installed them in c:\gemsys.

But wait. We should be able to do better. MagiC fits into 256k to parallel TOS2.06, but it leaves a lot on the disc as the full OS is bigger than TOS2.06. In DFB1 (and the Falcon natively) we have 512k ROM. So can we get a minimal system to boot to desktop using that upper bank of ROM? You bet we can.

So the attached image will boot from drive C if you have MagiC installed properly but it also has a 256k ROM Disc (drive M) which it will boot from if not.

It doesn't have everything for a fully functional MagxDesk, but it has screen drivers, offscreen drivers and core MagxDesk functionality (even the command prompt) and it'll give you that quick-on-need-to-set-something-up-or-rename-something-when-you-need-it boot from ROM that we've come to expect with TOS.

Still early days, but if you've a DFB1 (or a stock Falcon and a rewritable 27C4096 EPROM), then do give it a go and let me know how you get on.

magic_rom_falcon_20240304.zip
(295.03 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

I reckon it looks pretty reasonable and doesn't perform too shabbily either.

IMG_7579.jpeg
IMG_7579.jpeg (184.13 KiB) Viewed 420 times
IMG_7580.jpeg
IMG_7580.jpeg (219.46 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Cheers,

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MagiC ROM for DFB1

Post by exxos »

:bravo:

But I really wouldn't use GB 7.01. Just about everything is broken in that version.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
atari030

Post by atari030 »

Nicely done. Never thought there would ever be a need for a Falcon ROM switcher. :-)
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:56 pm :bravo:

But I really wouldn't use GB 7.01. Just about everything is broken in that version.
Ah, was the latest version on my hard disc. Probably explains the palette! :D

BW
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

I've been asked off-thread "Why would you do this? Just install it to hard disc."

Fair question. So here's why:-

With every OS you install on the ST range there always comes a time when you need to change a configuration or edit a file or do something quickly. And you end up at the plain GEM desktop doing it. I don't like that.

With machines that have no built in desktop like the Amiga or Mac it's a given you boot from disc to do some file editing, but for things like the ST and the Archie, you always end up back at the ROM desktop sooner or later.

I suspect the majority of most people's desktop time is with whatever's in the ROM.

I'd like my 'lowest common denominator' to be better.

EmuTOS is great but, by philosophy, they eschew the things I value -- multitasking and bult-in tools.

So I thought I'd try making Magic my default OS.

If the recently open-sourced Geneva gets around to being buildable, I may try with that in the future too. Or forking EmuTOS to add what I like but whist providing a ROM disc for utilities is simple enough now I suspect I don't know enough yet to implement co-op multitasking on ET.

Cheers,

BW
af0l

Post by af0l »

Good job!

I love the MagiC OS, too. I’m on CT60 and a stock Falcon though, so can’t fully test, but I’ll try it out one of these months 😁
Steve

Post by Steve »

I wish someone with the skill & enthusiasm would fork Emutos and create Multi-Emutos. To create the ultimate standard TOS.

Return to “SOFTWARE”