WDIALOG.PRG

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

Cosmic Puppet

WDIALOG.PRG

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

WDIALOG.PRG appears in Auto folder after installing NVDI. COPS comes with it, but since it adversely affects Notator I decided to delete it.
Auto folder.jpg
Auto folder.jpg (20.18 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
I'm going to do a fresh install using everything I've learned. I found a download of COPS to see which files it contains.

I notice the download has this WDIALOG.PRG contained in it.
Cops.jpg
Cops.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
So my question is:

Does NVDI need WDIALOG.PRG to run or is this program for running COPS only?
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
thorsten.otto

Re: WDIALOG.PRG

Post by thorsten.otto »

It is only needed by COPS. It is not directly used by NVDI, but you won't have the printer configuration dialogs without it. Also they may be other programs than COPS that require it.
ari.tao

Post by ari.tao »

NVDI does not require WDIALOG.
WDIALOG is needed by SW originally developed to function under MAGIC (ie. COPS, JINNEE and may be some more) and provides some functionality of MAGIC under non-MAGIC OS. So if You don´t boot those SW then there´s no need to put WDIALOG into the AUTO\; if You wanna start those SW later, it is possible to run WDIALOG just before from the desktop.
Thus spake FN (Frank Naumann) in MiNT\1-15-12\src\doc\install:
"WDIALOG is a very dirty hack, mustn´t be started before MiNT !
Under N.AES use N.DIALOG as a clean replacement!"
So, replacing WDIALOG by NDIALOG might solve Your problem; also, to cancel both WDIALOG and COPS and using xCONTROL or zCONTROL instead of COPS might solve it. Remark: There is no general need to boot either of the three - they all can be started from desktop when needed by replacing the surname .ACC with .APP.
Falcon, TT & some more
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

ari.tao wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:17 am NVDI does not require WDIALOG.
WDIALOG is needed by SW originally developed to function under MAGIC (ie. COPS, JINNEE and may be some more) and provides some functionality of MAGIC under non-MAGIC OS. So if You don´t boot those SW then there´s no need to put WDIALOG into the AUTO\; if You wanna start those SW later, it is possible to run WDIALOG just before from the desktop.
Thus spake FN (Frank Naumann) in MiNT\1-15-12\src\doc\install:
"WDIALOG is a very dirty hack, mustn´t be started before MiNT !
Under N.AES use N.DIALOG as a clean replacement!"
So, replacing WDIALOG by NDIALOG might solve Your problem; also, to cancel both WDIALOG and COPS and using xCONTROL or zCONTROL instead of COPS might solve it. Remark: There is no general need to boot either of the three - they all can be started from desktop when needed by replacing the surname .ACC with .APP.
Annoyingly Notator crashes if I try to run MultiTos or Magic, but I don't mind since the new versions of EmuTos support it really well. I tried changing ACC to APP and it works, but what I've discovered is that it drains about 20 Kilobytes from the free RAM in Notator when it's not even started (wasn't expecting that since changing the extension stops it from pre-loading.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

If I delete WDIALOG.PRG from the Auto Folder I'll have to put up with this Nag Box. :lol:
NagBox.jpg
NagBox.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
It works, but oddly drains RAM from Notator, so I'll leave it be. :)
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

The optimum for Notator and Co is a bare TOS system without additions. If need of NVDI use NVDI 2.5 or older ...
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

frank.lukas wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:49 pm The optimum for Notator and Co is a bare TOS system without additions. If need of NVDI use NVDI 2.5 or older ...
That's what I believed initially, but I have it running on the latest EmuTos with NVDI 5 using the UltraSatan, and it's amazing. (Odd double colon on the pattern name but it doesn't seem to affect the overall function. Just test ran a song. The menus/editors open quicker.

Just been gathering knowledge and trying lots of stuff to see what my options are (lots of stuff hasn't worked). I like being able to have a desktop shortcuts. Used to autorun Notator and that made it crash a lot. This way I'm just a double click away from start. It also looks quite smart and I can have a shortcut to Music Mouse and the chip editor program.
alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 »

can someone please point me to n.dialog.prg

thanks
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

I don't have it by itself as I now use NVDI 2.51 instead of NVDI 5 because of freezing issues in Notator's score editor.

I do still have the installer which should contain it when installed.
Atari-NVDI5-NVDI-5.zip
(3.14 MiB) Downloaded 233 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Tone you're getting that 'wdialog needed' message because of the cops accessory. That is also an old version of cops - the latest cops does not even require wdialog.

grab the latest version:
https://bintray.com/freemint/app/cops/1.09-39bd4159

Return to “SOFTWARE”